Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing on new build  (Read 5898 times)

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Freezing on new build
    « on: May 19, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »
    I built a new computer (my specs are below).  I installed Vista 64-bit and once I loaded up windows the screen would freeze up while trying to perform a task.  I was trying to download windows updates but the screen would just freeze.  Sometimes it would only be for 3-4 minutes other times I would have to reboot.  Since this is a new machine I'm not sure what would be the problem...is it in Windows?

My system:
    MOBO: Asus M2n-SLI Deluxe
    GRAPHICS: EVGA eGe-Force 9600 GT
    PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon 64 X2
    MEMORY: 2 2 GB A-Data DDR2 800
    HARD DRIVE: 120 GB Seagate SATA

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Freezing on new build
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »
    Did you happen to re-use an existing PSU ? ?
    If not the first suspect on the list would be the build itself...
    Was Thermal compound applied correctly ? ?
    Does the RAM match the MBoard specs ?

I'm not quite familiar with the brand of RAM.
    You may want to DLoad and run MemTest on it to seee if you got a bad module.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
      Everything is brand new.  The heatsink came with thermal compound already applied.  And I ran a memory diagnostic check and there were no errors. 

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »
        Do you have another drive you can try???
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
          I would double check to make sure everything is seated properly I'm sure that you may have but just to make sure.

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
            I forgot to format the hard drive, could that be my problem?

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »
              usually windows does that for you also it will create a partition too I think it does it automatically especially format.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
                Melissalynne did you use an upgrade or the full version?

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
                  It was the full version.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
                    okay it should have done the format for you automatically.  :)

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
                    What memory test ? ?

Did you happen to re-use an existing PSU ? ?

Does the RAM match the MBoard specs ?

I'm not typing this just for exercise...answers lead to solutions.

P.S. Is it This Build ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

melissalynne7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »
                      I formatted the drive and re-installed Vista and it seems to be running smoothly now.  Thanks for your help.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »
                        You're welcome if you need anything else just ask.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »
                          Had a feeling it was an os problem
                          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

naresh.techie

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
                            HI

Question:
                            Windows freezes or stops responding frequently.

Cause:
                            This issue could be caused by any of the below possibilities.

Software related issue.
                            Driver related issue.
                            Operating system related issue.
                            Heat related issue.
                            Hardware issue.
                            Serious issue with Windows
                            Hardware failure.
                            Answer:
                            This document contains recommendations on what to do if the computer frequently freezes or completely halts. An easy way to determine if your computer is in this situation is by pressing the Num Lock button on the keyboard and watching the Num Lock led to see if it turns off and/or on.

If you're able to get the light to turn off an on, press CTRL + ALT + DEL and attempt to end task the program. Additional information about this can be found on document CHTSR. Otherwise continue reading this document.

Software related issue
                            A computer locking up or freezing is often is caused by a software related issue. If you're encountering lockups when the computer is opening a particular program, make sure you have all the latest updates for that program. You can find the latest updates for your software through the software developer or publisher.

Driver related issue
                            A computer lock up can also be caused by drivers. For example, if there is an issue that exists with your video drivers a computer could lock up while playing a game or displaying any other type of video. Make sure you have the latest drivers for all major devices in your computer (video, sound, modem, and network). A listing of driver related pages as well as driver related help can be found on our drivers page.

Operating system related issue
                            Make sure your operating system has all of the latest updates installed on it. Additional information about updating Windows can be found on document CH000545.

Heat related issue
                            If the computer processor is getting too hot it can cause the computer to freeze. If you have heard any abnormal noises coming from your computer recently such as a high squealing, this could indicate a fan may be failing in your computer.

You can first start by verifying the fan on the power supply is working by examining the back of the computer and seeing if the fan is moving and moving smoothly. For all other fans in the computer you will need to either open the computer and make sure the fan are working (processor fan and case fan) and/or if your BIOS monitors the RPM of the fans, enter BIOS and make sure the BIOS does not report any errors.

Users may also be able to determine how hot their computer is by onboard thermal sensors. If your computer comes equipped with these sensors, make sure your CPU is not running too hot. Additional information about how hot your CPU should be running can be found on document CH000687.

Hardware issue
                            In addition to software, hardware can also cause a computer to lock. If you have recently added any new hardware into the computer, try temporarily removing it to make sure it is not the cause of your issue.

Before attempting to remove any hardware, make sure you are not encountering this issue because of hardware conflicts by viewing Device Manager for errors. Additional information about Device Manager can be found on our Device Manager page.

If you have not recently installed any new hardware into the computer, the next best solution to determining if this is a hardware issue would be remove any hardware on the computer that is not needed. For example, remove your modem, network card, sound card, and any other expansion cards that are not needed for the computer to operate. Run the computer without these cards to see if they are the cause of your issue.

Note: When opening the computer, make sure you are aware of ESD and its potential dangers. See our ESD page for additional information.

Serious issue with Windows
                            If you have tried all the above recommendations and the computer continues to frequently lock up, its possible that Windows may be seriously corrupt. Try running through the basic troubleshooting steps for your version of Windows on our basic troubleshooting page. If these additional steps do not resolve your issue, we suggest you backup all information and erase and reinstall Windows on your computer. Additional information about how to do this can be found on document CH000186.

Hardware failure
                            If after reinstalling your operating system, or during the installation of your operating system, your computer turns off abnormally, it is very likely that other hardware is failing in the computer. Often this is RAM, CPU, Motherboard, and/or Power Supply (in that order).

If you have extra available parts or have a friend or co-worker with a similar configuration that is willing to allow you to test their hardware in your computer, try swapping these parts to determine if they are at fault. Otherwise, you will need to have the computer serviced.

Additional information:
                            See our frozen dictionary definition for additional information about this term as well as related terms.
                            See document CH000700 for additional information about what to do if the computer freezes.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:24:58 AM »
                              Please creat a seperate topic for your post so that you can get your problem solved.  8)