Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Format Problem  (Read 3904 times)

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hard Drive Format Problem
    « on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
    My hp pavilion (ze4500) notebook stopped working, so I deduced from examining it that it was probably the hard disk drive that went out. I ordered the suggested spare P/N 319414-001 and installed it. It wont complete the installation because it says "Did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer, etc.. blah blah...," and I am trying hard to get it recognized. It wont read the recovery CDs until it see the hard drive, so you can see my problem.  After reading some similar problems on the internet, I went into the BIOS and changed the internal hard drive from "Auto" to a few different options, but eventually I changed it back to "Auto" because I extended my options because none of the changes made it work.  I read that you can do something on a floppy to boot it, but I dont have a floppy drives, just a CD drive. I just really don't know what to do. I miss my computer! Please help!  :'(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard Drive Format Problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
    Did you recieve a bootable CD with that new hard drive ? ?
    If not you will have to make one.
    DLoad the diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site and follow the instructions for creating a bootable floppy/CD.
    Then use the program to partition and format the drive.

Some drives even new are shipped unformatted. Once it's formatted it should be recognised and you should be good to go...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
    notebook stopped working, so I deduced from examining it that it was probably the hard disk drive that went out

what made you belive it was the hard drive? Did you do the following when you though it was the hard drive - List below:

1. Unplug the AC adapter, if present, and then remove the battery.
    2. On the bottom of the notebook, remove the hard disk drive rubber screw plugs and
    M2.5×6.0mm screws. (The number of plugs and screws varies by model).
    3. Carefully pull the hard disk drive out of the notebook.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:35:16 PM by Crafty »

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »
      Yes, I pulled out the battery and removed the harddrive out, and remounted the new one. I even pulled up the specs from hp for my model to make sure there wasn't an extra step. To be honest, my computer crashed about a month ago, I just haven't really had much time to play with it. Based on the errors I was getting during recovery (write errors to the harddrive), the only other thing I think it could be would be the motherboard, and I really hope it's not the case. That's the main reason I thought the harddrive was the failure. That's cheaper to replace than the motherboard, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Once I got the harddrive in, it didn't come with any formatting disks, but the manufacturer's website said it didn't need any. I just don't know why the computer wouldnt see the harddrive as "installed" unless it wasn't formatted.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »
      What website says it didn't need formatting ? ?

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »
        http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/drivers.htm

"Current operating systems, including Windows Vista, XP and 2000, and Mac OS X, already include pre-installed drivers for the hard disk drive itself. No additional drivers are required."

It says something about updating motherboard drivers, but I haven't had a chance to take apart my laptop to see who the manufacturer is yet. Just seeing if I could try some other stuff before having to disassemble it. 

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
          Well, here are the specs:

Manufacturer: Hitachi
          Model: IC25N040ATCS05-0
          If this hard drive is out of stock at time of shipment we may substitute a 100% compatible hard drive from another major brand manufacturer.  Please email us with any questions.
          Compatible HP P/N: 319414-001, 336475-001
          Package: OEM BULK PACK
          Capacity: 40GB
          Speed: 5400RPM
          Cache: 8MB
          Connector: IDE
          Interface: ATA-5, ATA V
          Form Factor: 9.5mm, 2.5" laptop drive

This HDD is supposed to be compatible with the 319414-001 Compaq spare and specifically says it works with my notebook ze4500.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »
          "Current operating systems, including Windows Vista, XP and 2000, and Mac OS X, already include pre-installed drivers for the hard disk drive itself. No additional drivers are required."

This states drivers...it mentions nothing about formatting.
          DLoad the Hitachi disk utilities and use them to create a bootable floppy/CD to prepare the drive for use...

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »
            Thanks so much for the advice. i will definitely try that out. Is this the tool you are talking about? http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »
            That's the one ! !

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »
              Ok, I ran the tool, and it says "no drives found." This is impossible because it is totally installed in there!!! What to do... What to do...

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
              So the old drive wasn't working, you put in a new drive and isn't working either?

Sounds like you've got a more serious issue than the hard drive.

Roxy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
                well, the computer recognized the old hard drive, it was just being a piece of crap, so i replaced it. this time i cant even get it to recognize the new one. i have no idea why. i mean, it's in there. and it's new. why on earth won't it even see it?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:55 AM »
                Unfortunately since it's a notebook i'm afraid it's off to the shop with it...