Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express  (Read 3479 times)

dmnoel

Topic Starter

Outlook Express
    « on: May 26, 2008, 05:30:42 AM »
    I have recently received a couple of emails that have been forwarded a few times.  When I try to move these emails to a folder I named Family I get an error "The selected message(s) could not be moved.  An error has occurred.".  I can move these messages into any other folder but not the "Family" folder.  Can anyone explain this?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Outlook Express
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »
    Does the family folder have too much in it.... I believe the folders in OE have a size limitation of 2GB? I know that Outlook 2000 has a problem with the Archive.pst which can exceed 2.1GB and crash the archive folder... OE is a stripped down version of Outlook so I figured I'd throw it out there. Attachments can get you to 2.1GB easily if it is a folder size issue.

Other possible issues would be the folder length. How deep does it go compared to other folders if they are all in the same location without having to tree down into them, then this is not the likely cause. This is more likely seen with people who have like a main folder with too many folders to tree down into and hit the limit of folder/file name length. More common to people buring media and the media adds a root folder before the data tree.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »
    Does the family folder have too much in it.... I believe the folders in OE have a size limitation of 2GB?

Yeah, that's the limit for OE.

Outlook 2007 & 2003:
    By default, both versions use Unicode to create their .pst/.ost files and have a limit of 20GB.

Outlook Express, Outlook 2002 and prior versions:
    These use ANSI to create their .pst/.ost files and have a limit of 2GB.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
    Thanks for verifying Quaxo....

dmnoel

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
      First, thanks for the replies.  The Family folder is not full, I can still get more messages in.  The messages I can not get into the family folder I can move to any other folder or back to the in-box.  There are two senders that I get messages from, some of the messages will move without problems others will not move into the Family folder.  ???

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
      I'd try compacting your OE messages and see whether that resolves the problem.  To compact, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance, and click on Clean Up Now.  Then click on Compact.  Do not interrupt this procedure. 
      The Family folder is not full, I can still get more messages in.
      You can still get big messages in, or only small ones?  Do these two senders you mentioned usually send messages with photos or graphics embedded?  Do you know how big the Family folder is?  Do you know how to tell?