Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Home - to Win xp Assistance  (Read 2520 times)

Insight_772

Topic Starter

Starter

Vista Home - to Win xp Assistance
    « on: May 30, 2008, 01:43:01 AM »
    Hi.

Some three weeks ago I purchased a new Dell Aspire 5315 Laptop. It has Windows Vista Basic installed.

I do not like Vista at all it is a resource hog and the computer is quite slow. So I decided to revert to Win XP.

I insterted my "real" XP disk and now all I can get on the screen is NTLDR is missing Press CNTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I have checked The Boot setting & it is correct. I have also tried using Microscope, a utilities disk, other versions of windows and Vista borrowed from a friend who has a computer shop.

I even tried to get a fix for this by way of downloading something from the internet (http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm) using a pen drive on my other Laptop, I then installed it on my pen drive. When I rebooted my FS Laptop it had taken out the NTLDR on this Laptop also. I have had to use the recovery disk that came with my Fujitsu Siemens and start from afresh with a new installation.

Meanwhile my Dell is still not working. I was given no recovery disk with my Dell and I think that I may probably need it. The problem is I purchased it in Spain and I am now back in the UK.

Any idea's or help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:41:16 AM by Insight_772 »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Vista Home - to Win xp Assistance
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:40:48 AM »
    What do you mean your "real" XP disc? Is it real or not? Does it have a holographic surface and say Microsoft on it?

Insight_772

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:43:14 AM »
      Apologies. It is an OEM disc, not a copy.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:16:55 AM »
      The boot settings should be CDRom first if you are trying to do a Restore from an OEM CD....
      WARNING: You realise after this all your data will be gone correct ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Insight_772

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:23:11 AM »
        Thanks patio. The problem was with the cd-rom drive itself. I have installed a new one and all is now working as it should be.

Great forum this by the way.

DouglasC

Rookie

• Peedy is good at swearing, I've discovered.
          « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 03:04:56 AM »
          Dell don't make Aspire laptops, Acer do. Perhaps you mean Inspiron?

If you've not gotten it to work, you may need to wipe the hard drive with a tool such as GParted.

Also, if you are using an OEM verison of Windows XP that came with another computer, and the sticker says something like

A lesson to all: Do not buy a computer with Vista Basic installed: one of many giveaways taht the system is underpower.
          That's Peedy over there in my avatar, playing psychiatrist. Peedy (C) Microsoft, not me. Although I do like him!

When you want advice on foodstuffs, you should come to me. I'm no professional chef, but I love food. I eat it, you know.