Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to buy the right laptop PC for your needs  (Read 7154 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
How to buy the right laptop PC for your needs
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »
From USAToday through Yahoo! News:

A fairly long article, but a good read for those of you out there who know little to nothing about computers.  ;D

Partial quote (see link for complete article):
DUBLIN, Calif. - Lori Jantulovich stands in the middle of Best Buy's computer section, flagging down a sales clerk. She's trying to buy a laptop for her nephew. "I have no clue," she says.

Jantulovich, 51, is surrounded by displays touting the merits of dozens of similar-looking PCs. "Superior performance with 3 GB of system memory," one says. "Powerful discrete graphics," another advertises. "Blazing fast performance with a next-generation Intel Core 2 Duo Processor." "On-the-go multi-tasking." "Limitless performance and response."

"For the average person, this is a lot to dissect," she says.

Computer buying used to be relatively easy. Shoppers generally bought the PC with the fastest processor, or computer "brain," they could afford. That wasn't tough, since most were numbered. (A 486 was faster than a 386.)

Now, "The story has changed," says tech analyst Richard Shim at researcher IDC. Processors aren't numbered like that, and other components, such as memory and graphics cards, have become far more important. "It's definitely hard now" for non-technologists to identify the desktop or laptop that best meets their needs, says Glenn Jystad, a senior manager at PC maker Gateway.

pcsourcepoint

Beginner

• Linking For Knowledge
    Re: How to buy the right laptop PC for your needs
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
    One way to compare or research laptops and their attributes is to subscribe to article feeds/e-mail subscriptions from sites in the relevant categories like PC World and About Com. I have received many comparison articles of laptops...
    MP3 Free Software Downloads (My Freeware
     reviews for MP3's - Encoders, Editors, Burners, extractors, etc)

Computer Tech Links (My Tips of Internet/Blog/Computer/Software)