Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP SP3  (Read 3495 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

XP SP3
    « on: June 01, 2008, 08:16:01 AM »
    I know that the latest service pack is a collection of downloads that have been previously been released.  I heard that there where potential problems with the new service pack an wondered if this was true.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

stevejohnson1958

Re: XP SP3
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
    Have you seen this post?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
    However, to my knowledge, no one here has had problems with it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
    " raises hand ".........

::)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »
    There's one...no matter where ya go... ;D

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
    Glad it wasn't me this time.   ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
    Just 2 customer machines...both lost all web connectivity. Resolved by simply un-installing it and i didn't see any correlation hardware wise between the 2 machines so i just advised them to wait awhile.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
    Here's another KB article that should be read prior to SP3's installation:  950717

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
    I installed it on the HP backup rig my bro has setup for himself. So, lets see.. where too start..

Countless BSOD's, IRQ errors, Memory Management Errors, Errors when I installed any AGP card, and it killed a 256MB RAM stick I had in the HP. SP3 seems too turn XP into windows ME, actually, I take that back, its worse than windows ME. I've never had that many problems with windows ME, and its the worst operating system I've ever used. But thats microsoft for you, take a great product, turn it upside down, and shake everything good out of it, then sell it too you acting like its a flawless jewel.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »
    I had a problem with SP3 on a Compaq computer. It really sucked, it was my step dads computer, and he dislikes it very much if it gets messed up.

Its not a problem with Microsoft though. Its a problem with HP. They used the same disk image on the Intel computers as they did on the AMD computers, resulting in this issue.

This issue also occurred for some people with the SP2 upgrade. Most companies have figured out that its NOT a good idea to do that....

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »
      So its bad all together an just remove it then.  I'm removing it any way.  What files should I look for?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
      are you having problems with it or are you just trying to be safe? If you're not having problems with it and you already have it installed, don't uninstall it. My guess is that less than 10% of computers aren't going to like it.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
        Thats only about 5% but I've already installed uninstalled it for safety reasons.  Thought it was causeing problems something else though.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
        If SP3 (and I am saying this now, foot down) is installed on your computer and has NOT had any BSOD screens, do NOT bother uninstalling it. Removing Service Packs in this manner usually results in more system issues due to the fact that you are modifying more crucial files, and trying to switch them back.

In my opinion, Service Packs shouldent exist, and it should just be slowly released through the regular Windows Update service. That would be the most efficient and secure way to accomplish fixes.

If you are using a computer that is NOT a Compaq/HP computer, you should be fine installing SP3. SP3 brings many bug, performance, and security patches that make your computer better.

This is the same story with SP2, and SP1. Both previous service packs have had problems, eventually they usually get sorted out. If you are uncomfortable installing a service pack on a computer, you might wait off until its mandatory and delivered directly through Windows Update to you. (Right now, you have to select that you want it on the Windows Update website)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
          I unisntalled it any way even thought its a custom made pc.  I rather not take the chance an I do agree its just hard to do on a dial up system.