Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will NOT Bootup!  (Read 34492 times)

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Will NOT Bootup!
    « Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
    ????
    I read menus!  I didn't choose any options before I read anything.  Don't accuse me of doing something I didn't do.

And as far as your repair???  It didn't repair, it reinstalled.  That was not an option I chose!  That chose itself.  Just like your saying it has to have an admin password???  Not so.  It never had on.  So while I'm not disrespecting you, I expect you to do the same for me.  Don't say I chose something before I read it.  If I had no other recourse then to reinstall it, I would have never asked for help in the first place.

The few times I have been in here asking for help, the people have been very helpful.  Your the first one to 'bad mouth' me, and I don't take well to it.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
    I'm not a finger-pointer either, but you had stated you could not boot into any mode...so the only available options were either to perform a repair installation or a system recovery.  That point now is moot.

Emperor was correct...about repair installations, however...there is still the possibility of data loss...again...moot.

There are a lot of free software out there you can use to protect your computer.  AVG Free...which you were using is tried and tested...and I'd recommend it to anyone as far as antivirus protection goes.  Webroot Spysweeper is also another I have used...and found it to be satisfactory.

Regardless...you'll want to find a software program that provides automatic updates, as opposed to manual updates...so your computer is constantly protected.

Another free antivirus program:  avast! is also highly recommended.
    If you're using Webroot and the license is till good...continue to use it until it runs out...then look for free ones online.  AVG has one, but you have to manually install updates.

There's also another software program called ThreatFire...which works with your antivirus software.  If your computer ever does become infected...this program will stop the threat from doing any further damage to your computer by preventing the infection from spreading.

Good luck...I hope you find something that will benefit you and your needs.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »
      And just to bring you up to date, it seems that it didn't reinstall properly either.
      It didn't do anything other then go through a bunch of crap that I don't know because I was here typing.  I have no idea what it did, but it didn't fix anything.  

So while I will admitt without reservations that you know more about it then I do, I don't think you have help me fix the problem.  

So if in your expertise you have any other pearls of wisdom, I am open to hearing them.  As I said, you know more about it then I do.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »
      I will continue to help you as long as you need it, but you have the option to request someone else's help if need be.

I am doing what I can to help, but instead of finger-pointing...let's both try to nip this in the bud.

You state the repair did not fix anything and you are back to squre one...correct?  Still experiencing the same problems?

I'm more than positive this was a malware infection.  If you still can't boot into Safe Mode...then what we need to do is reformat the hard drive and start fresh with a reinstallation of your hard drive.

Are you ready to attempt this?  Do you have the time?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
        I have both the avg and webroot.

Last time I was in here trying to get rid of spyware/malware, I was told to install a different spyware remover, but I don't know the name of it.  Since it is on the other computer I can't get that info.

But as I said in last post, any other suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I don't mind a little data loss, but at this point, I would like to at least have the option to repair.  Since it didn't work the first time, any other suggestions???  Of did I do something wrong?  To the best of my knowledge, I followed your instructions.  I never got to the point of going into ms-dos.  I don't even know what to look for if I do get in there.  So I would need to be told that also.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
          Ok, slow up for a minute
          We are out of turn.

If there is any way to try and FIX the problem, I would rather try that.

I can reinstall at any point, I am not able to FIX it once I go to reinstall.

What do you think???

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
          Woodworks...

If you were able to boot into Safe Mode...we could attempt to fix it...but you have stated you're not able to do this correct?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
            Yes that is correct. 
            I went back and tried to start from scratch.  It is now examining the disks after I hit the R key to repair.  I am usually here typing when it does it's thing, so I'm not sure where it goes to next.  I don't remember having the option of going into ms-dos.  If I get there, can  you tell me what I need to do while there???  I have NO idea.  After it finish's examining disks, will it take me into ms-dos, or do I have to do something else???

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
              Ok, I don't know, but it finished examining and now is installing files to folder.  I don't know if it gave me any options after finishing examining because I was here typing. 

Any suggestions???

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
              Just let it continue to do its thing.

You may be prompted to reboot...or enter info as it goes along...just keep an eye on it...okay?

Let me know how it goes...

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
                Well it doesn't seem to be working.

It did it's thing and went to reboot, but it didn't. 

So here is my question;  Is there a way to install windows on a different drive and boot from there and fix the original windows???

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
                If Windows is still intact on the drive we've been trying to repair...you could change the jumper settings on that drive and configure it as a slave drive.

Install this drive in another computer which already has a hard drive with the operating system installed on it.

Once booted up on the new computer...you can scan the slave drive with any malware software installed on this new computer...letting the malware protection repair and/or delete any infections it comes across.

Are you with me so far?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
                  Absolutly not.
                  You lost me on the second paragraph.
                  What do you mean "install this drive in another computer"?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
                  Right now...the computer we're working on has the drive with the problem.  Is this the only hard drive in this computer?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
                    No.  I have another drive that is partitioned into 3 drives.