Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Do you think it'll be possible for computers to enslave humans?

Will never happen
51 (38.1%)
Within 10 years
2 (1.5%)
In 10 - 20 years
8 (6%)
Within 100 years
20 (14.9%)
In over 100 years
5 (3.7%)
Has already happened
48 (35.8%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: June monthly poll  (Read 40707 times)

Razor

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: June monthly poll
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 03:11:12 AM »
Anyone seen Terminator? The matrix? Played Earthsiege? In each case humans created super AI that took over. Not sure if it would happen in our life time but humans are dumb enough to do it. Someone will come up with the bright idea of makeing AI in contol of the Nukes.
A lesson with power: "I moved the red psu switch from 240v to 110v then it went poof!"

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
never seen that movie but some will probably be stupid enough to do that

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »
never seen that movie but some will probably be stupid enough to do that
You've never seen Terminator or Matrix??   :o :o

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 10:59:45 AM »
nope cant say as a i have

RUBY02

Rookie

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »
    THE ALIENS PC, IBM, APPLE, MICROSOFT, DELL, ON AND ON....has cloned us!  i have seen a progession of look at me in the "monitor".  i  encounter being told, you can sign up on line, directed by phone to apply on line.   colleges, utilities, government, banks, consumer chains, either demand you apply, sign-up, or pay by, or seek answers, locations, and such by computer.   the new slogan is: ' look me in the "monitor" ' . next generation of home addresses is going to be (your steet name and IP) the new virus. the "spy-where" the mal.gov.where,  is in the little black box.  we can order pizza, e-mail the pres. get a tax refund, even *SPAM*, sell our home, buy any product, soon well be chatting, with the pres (we can the first lady). and the police, boarder patrol, IRS, our e-mail addresses are standard "home residence".  it's almost reality, cameras going up everywhere, so WE can see, report, and monitor the streets, the boarder, our neighbour without leaving home.  the boarder patrol can slack off patrolling, wait for an unpaid, uninsured, no retirement plan, joy spycam junky to see an object , or a caravan moving across the lens and give them a hint to poke around.  police can see you run a red light from their office, patrol car, girlfriends, and write you a ticket.  we are fighting wars in the middle east with computers soldiers are in foxholes, tanks, desert, mountains "attatched to a unit" the computer.  i could go on and on ......yes we ARE inslaved to computers, guess what's next. ......yes, first they have to finish posting spyware they already have the monitors in place.  sad to say the government has millions of free computers writing to them everyday! one day the pres may say "hey" and i can finally say "byte me"
    HERES LOOKING AT YOU
    RUBY

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    « Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »
    It is more probable that we might become enslaved to a group or institution or government through the use of computers. 

As far as artificial intelligence (AI) itself, it's possible it could happen, someday.  (I know -- that's really going out on a limb! ::))

There's a lot of "if's," of course.  Does AI require sentience (self awareness)?  How is AI achieved -- by a specific type of programming, or another method?  (It has been suggested that if you give a system enough information, and enough ways to 'cross-reference' that information, you'll reach a "critical mass" kind of stage where the computer will then be intelligent.  (I don't necessarily agree, but it's been suggested.

Most of the fiction I've read/seen suggests the danger isn't so much in the system itself, as in the inability to turn off such a system, or at least the problem of turning off such a system.  "2001:  A Space Odyssey"'s HAL9000 computer, self-aware, and with its own agenda, is a good example.  "Dave, my mind is going..."  Martin Caidin's "The God Machine" pits the hero against a defense computer with control over the defense, and the access, to its own nuclear power supply.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

CurlyReadhead

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
    Well, I guess they already won me all over... cause I can't live without them ;) (and sincerely I don't know if I would like to anyway)

macmusicattack

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:08 AM »
    I believe we are beginning to be enslaved. I only say this, because everything we do is on computers now a days. Taxes, car shopping, music buying, talking, picture editing...Etc. You name it, its probably done on computers or could be done on computers. And even ipods, zunes, televisions, other electronics-- Are all sorts of computers. We depend on them for information and entertainment. Its both a good and bad thing. Its a convenience , but if they become to reliable, what's gonna happen if the whole inter web crashes? Life will be hectic. Unless we begin to back things up with paper documents, are world will be at a loss.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »
    i would die without my computer die of bordum that is

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 04:23:11 AM »
    I think everybody is confusing enslavement with dependence. If that was the case then we are all slaves to air,water, and food, since we need all three. But since they don't emit any sort of conscious thought they couldn't possibly exercise any control over us, on account of being lifeless.

Same with the computer. A computer can only do what it was programmed to do. In order to enslave humans, there would have to be a code branch:

If (humans <= computers) Or (Year(Now))>=2100 then
        TakeControlOfTheworldSomehowandenslavea race(RACE_HUMAN)
    End if

that is, the programmer would need to conciously add either the codepath or decision data whereby the computer would enslave the human race. not gonna happen. Sure, it makes a great theme for movies, but the fact is that regardless of all fiction depicting it, computers will never exhibit conscious thought, and if they do, not at a level high enough to decide to overthrow us as the dominant er... beings? on the planet.

Basically- everything a computer does is programmed at some point, you can't just flip a switch, or put a few transistors here and there to give them conscious thought. The fact that a human (or Microsoft Wizard...) would need to create the source means that either the code will have a lot of //:TODO comments (in the case of the wizard), or will simply be a subset of human conciousness, or any conciousness, for that matter. a Single (or, really any number) or programmers would not be able to create a accurate representation of a human brain to allow for consciousness, let alone the ability to make decisions that aren't simply a large Case statement (at it's core).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 04:25:46 AM »
    Unless a computer is programmed to learn.

Quite a lot of people have indeed successfully created robots/machines/computers than can learn (especially robots).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »
    ahh, they can be programmed to learn, but can they be programmed to have reason? The fact that it is so prevalent in movies essentially dismisses it.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

okbreeze

Beginner

• semi-illiterate pc user
      « Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 01:23:02 PM »
      Ah, but teachers are finding the inability to produce either effect in the classroom! Yet, I predict their charges will one day take over the world.  :P
      "The rarest of blooms is enhanced by the coldest of winters"

Schop

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2008, 03:51:28 AM »
      The one big mistake people make is to think that consciousness or intelligence is needed in order to enslave humanity. It is not. (see above about teachers)
      An adaptive AI could try to wipe or control humanity based on unconscious and unintelligent programming that states a certain goal should be achieved. Though it is more likely to happen with an AI that can "learn". It may someday just learn itself that it's goal has higher priority than human life
      Question is will a robot have the capability to do something serious? A PC, even when left on, is harmless as soon as the internet is unplugged. Unless it blows itself up and you get some small cuts from CPU shrapnel  ;D
      If some doofus would be dumb enough to implement AI into weapon systems it gets more serious... Guess what, that already happened, now just make them adaptive and it gets lethal.
      How far it possibly escalates depends on how for example weapons are linked to computers and internet in the future. If every gun and missile in the US gets linked to the internet we're in complete danger. If some guns and missiles in the US get linked to the internet we're in some danger. etc..

Not exactly but a remote example is that some "smart" adaptive protection system in a nuclear power plant denies humans access to the facility since they can cause human errors. Examples like this are likely to get more and more radical since AI and robots are used more and more, and get more sophisticated.

(Yay! The spell check could only come up with doofus to correct;D)

KAMAU

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2008, 04:40:35 AM »
      I think computers are now slowly by slowly enslaving the humanbeings i always get difficulties as a student to do my daily job without it.