Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: microsoft outlook  (Read 8669 times)

rbwest

microsoft outlook
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
When i click on MS Outlook, i get this box that pops up asking for a postoffice, mailbox and password  am not able to setup outlook

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: microsoft outlook
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
What version of Outlook?  Are you trying to set up an email account?  Have you previously used your current installation of Outlook for email? 

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »
    you will need to set-up your e-mail client for your e-mail acount. there should be info on your e-mail hosts website

wereit

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »
      I do not recall a postoffice being part of outlook set-up.  Is there anyway you can reproduce the problem and let us know exactly what comes up?

Can you please give us more information....

For step by step instruction for outlook 2003 from the office suite, try this link http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

For outlook express try this... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/oe/setup.mspx

good luck    ;D
      the link between MAN and GEEK

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »
      For step by step instruction for outlook 2003 from the office suite, try this link http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm
      Hmm, that link says, "Select the "Advanced" tab and change the "Outgoing server (SMTP)" port to 80 or 3535."  Those ports may be what that email service uses, but they are not the ports used by most ISPs for their POP mail services.  More likely, he  should use port 25 or 587.  But, he needs to get such details from his ISP. 

I also wonder why those instructions do not advise using the Test Account Settings button shown on one screen.  That's a way to test the account settings before closing the account setup screen.

For outlook express try this... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/oe/setup.mspx
      This reference doesn't even mention the port number setting.  Yet, the correct port number is a critical factor in completing a successful email account set up. Perhaps it assumes that the port is 25, a very common one for email, but it's been replaced by some ISPs with port 587.

kawmd

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
        I'm having a similar problem except during set up it won't accept username and password (I wrote them down so I know they are correct).  Anyone know a work around for this?  I had to reinstall because of some other problem.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
        Hello and welcome to the forum.  Do you have webmail access to your email?  In other words, can you access your email via web browser?  If so, try logging on to your email account that way as a way to verify you've got your username and password right.

kawmd

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
          I've been reading my email for days that way, no problems.  It's AT&T and it used to be forwarded to outlook for my convenience.  I liked it and can't get it back, or my calender to which I back up my Blackberry.  It wants a network password and the one I wrote down isn't working.