Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Recovery Disk for upgraded (not full installs) XP systems  (Read 4118 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I have found many sources of help for XP Recovery Disk options - but only for systems for which the user has a full REINSTALLATION disk - as opposed to UPGRADE Disks from say, ME to XP.  Would appreciate any info on how to Recover, or Repair, an XP system, rather than simply rewiping the disk and reinstalling.
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP Recovery Disk for upgraded (not full installs) XP systems
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
    State more clearly exactly what dilemna you are in; what CD's you have and what you want to accomplish...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

#groff -Tascii -man yakub

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:46:09 PM »
    if the reinstallation of the xp is for for missing file means you can use
                Run:"scf /scannow"
    & it will ask for xp cd and it will repair your existing system

xp provides another inbuilt applcation which will repair your existing system
                                 i.e.,Run:"drwtsn32"

i know this much only i tried as my level best if your problem solved then   
             enjoy.........

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:22 AM »
      For #groff - Tascii - man yakub:  Thanks so much for the info regarding the xp internal commands (about which I knew nothing).  I'll check into this right away.

For patio:  I'm retired, with no formal education or training in computers, but I do quite a bit of work on computers for friends and neighbors, etc.  Frequently, I conclude that certain computers are so cluttered with unnecessary and possibly harmful software applications, to reformat and reinstall xp would require less time and effort, and be more likely to lead to a more stable system.  This is the primary reason for my inquiry.  I know little about repair/recovery of upgraded xp installations.  I have a repair/recovery disk for Vista, which I consider to be a very valuable tool, and I was casting around for a similar tool for xp.  Last night, I downloaded and burned Hiren's BootCD Version 9.5, which may turn out to be of use for xp recovery/repair.  Perhaps some forum participants can furnish opinions regarding Hiren's BootCD.
      « Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:10:05 AM by veritasffg »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
      Repair Install of XP   This is the method i use and have been using for some years....it's better than even Microsoft's method.
      I suggest reading it through paying special attention to the warnings.
      Then print out a copy for reference.

NOTE: This method will only work with original Microsoft XP CD's.
      It will retain all the Data and programs installed if done properly.

If the customer only has a manuf. Recovery CD this method will not work. In this case you need to backup all important data as these Recovery CD's take the machine back to Day One status and all data and programs not originally installed are wiped out in the process.

Hope this helps...

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:08:18 AM »
        Patio:  I'm sure this info will become one of the most important reference sources for me.  Thanks again for all your help.  What would those of us who aspire to learn a little more about computers do - without capable persons such as you.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »
        No problem at all...
        That RC tool for Vista is pretty handy tool...i could've sworn i had a link for a downloadable Recovery Console for XP but i can't seem to locate it.
        I'll post it if it turns up or someone else may pop in here...

Best of Luck.