Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing XP User Accounts - System froze - Now Doesn't See Hard Drive at Bootup  (Read 4749 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

The subject says it all.  Was given a five year old Dell, 1.5 ghz.  Added a user account for myself, with administrator rights.  Deleted one old account, no problem.  Deleted the second old account, and the system locked up.  On reboot, got message to press F1 to retry boot, or F2 for setup.  Went into setup, and saw that the system doesn't see either the C drive, or either of the CD drives.  Used a set of 6 XP Floppy Boot disks, which worked fine, but because the system could not see the hard drive, could not load Recovery Console, or do anything else.  Would appreciate any help from anyone on this matter.
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Try unplugging/reseating the IDE cable...
    Replace it if this doesn't  work... they do go bad.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try this later today and post the results.  Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

For Patio:  As you suggested, I removed the hard drive, detached both the power and the data cables, waited a couple of minutes, reattached the cables and replaced the drive in its bay.  Hooked everything back up, and everything booted up as usual.  All I can conclude is that there was an electrical surge which resulted in garbage in the data or power path.

At any rate, that problem seems to be solved.  Thanks so much for your help.

kburra

Beginner

Well done patio, great reply ;)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          Good to hear it was an easy fix...
          I keep a few extra Data cables around just in case...

And Welcome Aboard both of you ! !
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "