Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help install 98SE using...  (Read 4281 times)

punisher08

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

help install 98SE using...
    « on: June 11, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
    I need help with my 98SE edition install. I am currently using XP and want to install 98SE using partition magic. My problem is when I insert the cd into the drive there is nothing that pops up to install with. Am I missing something? I don't have a floppy drive. Hopefully someone has done this before & can guide me to somewhere to look for the info or knows how to handle this problem? I have read the read me file for the partion magic but no help.

hmar

Beginner

Re: help install 98SE using...
      « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
      Partition magic works best if you boot to the partition magic disk. insert the disk, then restart the computer, and hold f12 to access the boot menu, or change the boot order in bios. You need to be extremely careful not to destroy your XP partition, I would back it up first.
      You might be happier downloading virtual PC (free) from Microsoft and running 98SE in a virtual machine. It doesn't require partitioning, and both OSes can run together.
      Also, it's best when dual booting to install the oldest OS first, as 98's boot loader will not recognize XP. You may have to get a third party boot loader if you add 98 to a new partition.

punisher08

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
        Well the nice thing about parttion magic is it also comes with boot magic to manage the 2 different OS. My main problem is I can't figure out how to get my 98SE cd to even install. I'm assuming once I can get that installed on the seperate fat 32 partition that I have created for it, it will do the rest for me? I have installed boot magic in preparation for 98SE.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
          98SE was a bootable CD, so boot to it and istall that way. good luck