Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3DNA - Windows 3D Desktop  (Read 14320 times)

stevejohnson1958

3DNA - Windows 3D Desktop
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
3DNA

The 3DNA Desktop improves the way you work with Windows and the Web. You can choose from different 3D Add-on Worlds to explore and customize for an immersive and entertaining desktop. 3DNA is not a replacement for Windows - it works seamlessly with your current set up, while giving you a much better way to use your computer.

Homepage:  3DNA <admin edit: Link removed - site is now malware site>

Now...I've searched the web for different 3D desktop programs which would integrate well with the Windows UI...just to explore the different options available to the Windows user.

Years ago, I came across 3DNA.  If you're looking for a different way to use Windows...this free software program definitely adds a twist to the basic Windows desktop interface.

Pros:

• Ability to customize by downloading and installing different worlds, themes and skies
  • Easy to install and configure
  • Definitely adds a unique Windows desktop experience
  • Ability to switch, effortlessly, between the 3DNA and Windows desktop

Cons:

• Large download...Not recommended for those on dial up
  • Loading worlds depends on the speed of your system...This can sometimes take a little time to load.
  • Make sure you check your system specs against those recommended...Make sure you have the minimum system requirements...However, even with these minimum requirements...expect some lag with the graphics
  • The free version does include ads, but they are unobtrusive and only open if you click upon them within the interface
  • $30 (USD) to remove the ads and add more worlds, skies and themes

Conclusion:

When I used this program, years ago...I was so impressed, I bought the software.  I still use it today.

Every once in a while...I use it just to get away from the boring Windows desktop.  Others may find the interface a little much.  Some may even say that it takes them a little longer to get to the program they'd like to launch.  "Different strokes..."

In the end...it all boils down to "eye candy"...which definitely describes 3DNA.

Remember...the better your system specs, the better the program will perform.  If you're not into "eye candy" and just want a simple way to use Windows...forget about this program.  However, if you're into the "bells and whistles"...give it a shot...you can easily switch between 3DNA and your regular desktop.

Minimum System Requirements:

Intel™ 500 MHz class processor..........1+ GHz recommended 
System Memory 256 MB RAM..............384+ MB recommended
3D Graphics Card with 32 MB VRAM......64+ MB recommended
Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP................2000/XP recommended
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:38:52 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: 3DNA - Windows 3D Desktop
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:47:07 PM »
Thought I might add:
This idea sounds like it would be incredible on any computer.

It (unfortunately) does not work on Vista, due to the changes in the desktop window environment. Programs like this usually wont work beyond the operating systems they are designed for.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »
Looks Verrrrry interesting.... Anyone try it yet?

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
It might liven up my computer like a miniature nova.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »
I currently have it installed...and it doesn't cause any issues.  I can switch between desktop environments all at the click of a a button.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52:29 AM »
Looks too much like a kid's game to me.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:23 AM »

Well...either you like it or you don't...

In your case...it's sort of hard to tell.

This program is just a different way of experiencing the Windows boring desktop environment.  So like I said...you either like it or you don't.  It's as easy to uninstall as it is to install.

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »

That was just my little joke.

Well...either you like it or you don't...

I don't.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:07:44 AM by Dias de verano »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
This reminds me a lot of Packard Bell Navigator (link: http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35.html) and Microsoft Bob (anyone remember that disaster) that were designed in the early 90's.

Personally I think these programs just over complicate things when compared with the traditional desktop. However, if the day comes when we start interacting with our computers with VR suits or other VR equipment I believe then these type of environments would be amazing.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:57:36 AM »
This reminds me a lot of Packard Bell Navigator (link: http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35.html) and Microsoft Bob (anyone remember that disaster) that were designed in the early 90's.
Visually, Packard Bell Navigator looks clever for its time in technology.. probably a resource waste though.

Microsoft Bob, which, I have used before, is just stupid.

The number one problem you get with interfaces is simply that the programmers already know everything about the computer, and dont know how to make it easy.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »

Personally I think these programs just over complicate things when compared with the traditional desktop. However, if the day comes when we start interacting with our computers with VR suits or other VR equipment I believe then these type of environments would be amazing.

Wow..."Navigator" does look eerily similar...doesn't it.  Wonder if it was designed by the same vendor.

You are right, though.  These types of programs do tend to make the desktop a little complicated...and I do find myself going back to the Windows desktop quite frequently.  It's just that every once in a while...I like to change things up...so as not to get bored.

The 3D environment is almost like playing a game...and what would take a simple click on the regular desktop...would take a while longer with this software.

Nonetheless...it's pretty interesting just to browse through...and I know not everyone would approve of it...

If I need the space...I can always uninstall it...I have it on CD...so it's really not that big of a deal.

Thanks for providing the link...