Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fire Extinguisher System for Server Room  (Read 28742 times)

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Fire Extinguisher System for Server Room
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »
Any recommendations on this? My Budget is $300 and the room is 12x12x12.

Dont know if there is a good portable or a nice suppression system available.
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

stevejohnson1958

Re: Fire Extinguisher System for Server Room
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
Is this room filled with computer equipment?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »
For $300, you should be able to get a couple good fire extinguishers. Just make sure you keep an eye on it. If you want an automatic system, you'll need a lot more than $300.
My recommendation is to talk to a professional in your area and get a quote from them. That way you can make sure it is done right.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
Is this room filled with computer equipment?
Yeah, you're not going to want something like Water or Foam for a computer. Probably Carbon Dudeoxide Dioxide would be best.

homer

Expert
    « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:22:01 AM »
    i think a dry chemical fire extinguisher would be best. personally i would have one by the door (hand-held type) and a couple automatic ones. i would have a heat detector in the room whereupon, in the event of a fire, it would set off an alarm that would activate a timer and a horn. the timer, while the horn was blaring warning others to evacuate the room , would count down to about 10 seconds and if the countdown wasnt manually stopped after 10 seconds, the auto fire suppression system would kick in.

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
    « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »
    Yes the room is filled with two server racks, one enclosed and one open.

I was told to purchase hand held extinguishers, but I dont think that would really solve anything if, for example, the fire is in the enclosed unit. I found a CO2 unit at lowes for about $125. Also if the fire started whoile out of the office.

Let's say I increased the budget to $1K. Any viable system out there that are good for that much?

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
    You can try this link...but you'll need to call them for pricing:  http://www.periphman.com/fire/computer-room-fire-suppression.shtml

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
      The correct budget for a fire suppression system for that room is equal to the value of every piece of equipment in the room + the value of the data + the cost of the time it would take to set up new equipment and restore all of the data.
      If your higher ups won't give you that budget then give them an estimate for the numbers I listed above and tell them that's what it will cost if the room catches on fire when no one is around, or if it can't be stopped in time with their 300$ hand held extinguishers.

You need to be using something like this http://www.orrprotection.com/products_caf.asp that will automatically engage and not damage your servers.

You should also have a Disaster Recovery plan that accounts for whatever the acceptable amount of downtime in the event of a catastrophe is. That may mean something like a server held off site that contains virtualized versions of all of your servers that have snapshots updated daily or something of that nature.

Disaster Prevention and Recovery is far more important than a 300$ budget indicates. There is a good chance that a company which has a fire in their server room and no disaster recovery plan will go out of business shortly thereafter.

Edit: I like the link Saviour gave you as well. That's a good system.
      The Emperor
      Ruling over Technology since 1998
      www.TechEmperor.com

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »
      Speaking of Disaster Recovery Plan, I hope you're backing up all the data every now and then.

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
      « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
      I have been here for one week at this company. No Backups and no DRP. I am working on all of that as we speak. Backups should be in place today, DRP by the end of the week.

I really appreciate all of this advice. I have calls into both companies you guys supplied. I have oredered 1 handheld for now. I believe I can conveince them for an increase in the budget to get what it is we really need.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »
      I believe I can conveince them for an increase in the budget to get what it is we really need.
      I sure hope so ;)

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
      « Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »

I sure hope so ;)
      [/quote]
      Amen to that

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
      Attention span short, didnt read all the replies.

Is the server room equipt with ceiling sprinklers that activate from heat? And is the server room cooled by an air conditioner unit? (Why an A/C unit? You dont want a sprinkler or automatic fire extinguisher going off due to high heat caused by the servers themselves)
      A sprinkler will damage  a computer, as you can imagine, but, at least the entire building wont catch on fire.

Unless the server room is covered by an actual person 24/7, during the evening, no one will be there to actually put the fire out...

In your server room, there should be a switch that will shut down the servers completely and instantly in the even of an earthquake or in the even that a fire starts or anything like that. If the fire is caused by something inside the server, you can expect that if you put it out with a dry fire extinguisher, its going to eventually start again.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
        Why an A/C unit? You dont want a sprinkler or automatic fire extinguisher going off due to high heat caused by the servers themselves

the installation of an A/C unit depends upon exactly how high the temperature gets. in smaller server rooms, a few simple exhaust fans can suffice. also, the temperatures would have to be quite high in order to set off a sprinkler head or a heat detector.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        « Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
        Why an A/C unit? You dont want a sprinkler or automatic fire extinguisher going off due to high heat caused by the servers themselves

the installation of an A/C unit depends upon exactly how high the temperature gets. in smaller server rooms, a few simple exhaust fans can suffice. also, the temperatures would have to be quite high in order to set off a sprinkler head or a heat detector.
        *Smacks self*
        Your right, it would have to be exceptionally hot.

I lied... but, then again, I'm no expert on the topic. I wanted to take a computer class that covered this type of stuff this summer, but, the class was full.