Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant get on pc  (Read 9361 times)

jerry sullivan

cant get on pc
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:07:25 AM »
formated hd now cant get back on pc d: --drive sayes
cant read data

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: cant get on pc
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:23:01 AM »
We are assuming the d: drive in your computer is supposed to be your CD-ROM drive. If this is the case how are you booting the computer to read the CD-ROM drive? Are you trying to boot from a floppy diskette or CD-ROM?
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

jerry sullivan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »
when i boot to cdrom it says cant read data
can boot from floppy to a: then can go to d:
then it says d: not ready---no data

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 07:17:15 PM »
First make sure when you are attempting to read the D: drive that your CD-ROM drive light is lighting up or acts as if it is attempting to read from the CD-ROM it is possible that D: drive is no your CD-ROM drive letter in MS-DOS. If it’s not lighting up try other drive letters E: / F: / etc...

Make sure the CD you are trying to read is clean. Additional information about cleaning a CD can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

If the CD appears to be clean try reading a different CD. If a different CD works it’s likely a bad CD.

If you have recently added any new drives or hardware, remove that hardware to make sure it is not causing conflicts with the CD-ROM drive.

If no CD works in the computer and you have tried all the above recommendations it’s likely that your CD-ROM drive is bad.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

jerry sullivan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 10:52:12 AM »
still cant get on
d:drive says--cdr101:not ready reading drive d:
this all happened when i formated my pc
ihave xp install disk

MetalMilitia

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:09:24 AM »
your XP Cd isnt just a regular cd with XP crudely written on it is it? in which case it may be non bootable.

jerry sullivan

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 11:21:47 AM »
no its a real store bought cd
ive used it to install xp before

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »
One more thought: Try booting into CMOS setup and verify your boot options  are properly set. In other words make sure your CD-ROM is set to be boot from before the hard disk drive. Additional information about entering CMOS/BIOS setup can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

If your boot options are set and you are not able to boot from the CD or the floppy disk drive and you have not recently added any new hardware it is more than likely a bad CD-ROM drive.

-Albert Einstein

jerry sullivan

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 04:11:14 PM »
thank you   you said maybe my cdrom was bad so
i unplugged it and made my cd-r my master and then it
booted to my xp disk now im back on but have no sound
if i try to use anything with sound it shuts down and
reboots everything else works fine
             thank you

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 03:58:36 PM »
What version of Windows are you using? In addition does device manager have any conflicts or errors (yellow exclamation marks or red x's).. In addition are any "other" devices listed under device manager Additional information about device manager is found in the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm
-Albert Einstein

jerry sullivan

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 10:48:05 AM »
im using xp   in device manager i have a question mark
at other devices and pci simple communications
controler

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »
A "pci simple communications controler" is usually the modem not properly being installed. Although it is your modem that is not properly being installed it is still possible that this device could be causing issues with your sound card. We would first recommend removing this other device and rebooting the computer and see if Windows reinstalls it properly. If not  you may need to obtain the latest drivers for you modem manufacturer. A listing of modem drivers can be found at the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/drivers/modem.htm

Finally, we would also highly recommend you visit Microsoft Windows update section and make sure that your computer has the latest windows and drivers updates. Information about updating windows can be found at the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm
-Albert Einstein