Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Avatars not showing?  (Read 9165 times)

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Avatars not showing?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:17 AM »
I'll try that when I get home.
I'm not using HOSTS secure but I am using Spybot's HOSTS protection, plus some of my own.  I'll try unlocking the file later too.
Also I'll create a test account to see if that helps at all, it may be an account issue after all.  It's worth eliminating anyhow.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 02:35:45 AM »
My avatar would not show today 16 June 2008 either. Same odd
problem.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
Have uninstalled and reinstalled Siteadvisor, no change whatsoever.
Unlocking and removing the extra entries in the hosts file did nothing.
Just about to create a test account to see if that helps. test account made no difference either.
It must be a computer issue but I don't know what, it seems very odd that such a specific function would be affected.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »
As far as I can tell on my (Computer Hope forums) end everything is working fine. So definately something going on on the computers end. Everything I could think to suggest has already been attempted. I find it real strange that this issue would be occurring in multiple browsers too.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
It's also not hardware, I dual boot and the other boot has no issues.
Ah well, I've run into issues with some games too, possibly some corrupted files on my other boot.
I think it's time to reformat for about the 20th time in the last month.
Thanks for all the help anyway guys, it's much appreciated.
These things are sent to try us.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:40 PM »
May want to try uninstalling any add-ons installed in both browsers. Although not very likely the only other thought I could think of is that maybe it's a virus protection program, malware program, or firewall installed that's causing the problem.

Because it's happening in multiple browsers, it's got to be something else you've installed into the computer that's causing the issue.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
I agree it has to be a program installed.
I've ruled out addons as I have nothing installed in IE other than the Windows Update ActiveX, which I hardly see interfering with images on this specific board.
I'm using Spybot and Spyware Blaster for malware protection, have disabled both their protection temporarily with no change.
The hardware firewall is causing no issues either.
I wish I could pinpoint the exact time when this started - I know I could see avatars with this install, but I'm not sure when I stopped seeing them.  I thought it was a temporary glitch as the forum was going pretty slow at that point anyway.
There's nothing installed that could possibly be causing this as far as I know.
It's just such a weird problem, especially as it only happens on CH, nowhere else.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
Just to re-clarify for my sake, this is happening on all images, including those hosted on Computer Hope, e.g. the image you're using now for your avatar.

Can you view it outside the left bar, e.g the below example of your avatar.

-Albert Einstein

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »
This is only happening on CH with avatars - everyone's avatars.  They appear for a split second and then disappear.
On my profile if I go to edit it, I can view my avatar next to the radio box marked "I will upload my own picture" but nowhere else at all.
The mini profiles next to the posts are collapsed around the missing avatar, I don't see an "image missing" box or anything.
I can see other images here for example signatures, attachments, the image of my avatar in the previous post.
Some other web pages do in fact have missing images too but this is at random.  The only one that comes to mind isn't a site I'd post here as it is illegal, but it's purely for research purposes, not for my own use.  There however the image is missing but the site is not collapsed around it, presumably because of the height and width attributes.  I do see the image on this site if I right click where it should be, copy the location, and paste into my address bar.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
Well after some additional thinking. It could be possible somethings up with JavaScript. Although that is part of the browsers. The avatar images are resized in JavaScript to keep all the avatars the same. Do you have JavaScript disabled?
-Albert Einstein

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »
Although I do have Noscript installed, JavaScript and other scripts are allowed for CH.
I've checked my settings and also uninstalled Noscript, but that made no difference either.
That's an interesting idea though.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
Hmm that's the only unique thing I could come up with that is different between the avatar images and the images displayed in the profiles is that the images are being resized to 65x65 in Javascript to help keep the forums looking pretty.
-Albert Einstein

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
Go to www.java.com and click on "Do I have Java?"
Click on "Verify Java Version ".

If you have the most up-to-date version of Java, you
should be okay. If not, click "Download Now".

Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
Java and JavaScript are two different animals and installing the latest version of Java would not help in this situation.

If you're interested in seeing what version of JavaScript and Java you have installed and is detected by the browser I'd recommend: http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/systeminfo.cgi (shameless plug :) )

-Albert Einstein

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
Calum...
Did you try Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Mozilla Firefox (safe mode)?