Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 will not run  (Read 8943 times)

J Guy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Windows 98 will not run
    « Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:19:23 AM »
    Well, I appreciate your comments.  I've had a dual boot machine for years with no trouble.  I used Partition Magic Version 7.  Actually, I have no complaints with Linksys tech support or their wireless cards.  I've been using them for years with no failures.  Usually the problems are caused by me.  I did have one router failure about two years ago, probably a power surge.  This issue I believe may be just an install issue and Windows 98 issue.  I'm not a computer wizard by any means.  I do have A+ and Network+ training and many years as a computer user, going back to mainframes and dumb terminals.  So my guess is I need to reinstall the card and software, in the proper order, and maybe that will fix my Internet connection issue.  I post this issue here because I've gotten help here from good guys.  So I'm hoping an expert will get me running again.  Thanks

J Guy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Windows 98 will not run
      « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
       :) :)  I think this may be the last post on this subject for me.  I have finally fixed 99% of the issues on this PC.  I ran Free_Registry_Cleaner and found over 3000 bad lines in the registry that I then removed.  Rebooted and most everything was fine again.  Except I had no Internet connection.  Apparently my Linksys WMP54G died.  So I dug out the WMP11 from my dead Dell Dimension 8100 and installed it in the Win98 PC.  So that fixed the Internet connect issue.  Now I need to install a sound card.  I had a Soundblaster Live Value CT4780 card in the Win98 PC.  I removed it during troubleshooting.  Hope it works when I reinstall it.
      Thanks to all who offered help and Hope on my issues.  I appreciate it!