Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error messages during startup  (Read 11420 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Error messages during startup
    « Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 09:58:54 AM »
    I've just returned the PC to my friend, as I have tested it whole day since the last post, and it seems to work just fine, except a video controller issue, which I leave it to the shop where she bought the PC from, since it's still under warranty.

Thanks a lot, you've been a great help.

Have a nice day.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
    You too :)
    What's the story about that video controller?

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:01 AM »
      Well, the mobo has a onboard VGA, but the shop was still recommended her a graphic card, which she did not realize it was unnecessary.
      All the while she was using the onboard one rather than the card with no issue.
      Until last week, the computer did not give any display with CPU running.
      So I guess it was something wrong with the controller.
      When I plugged the monitor to the card instead of the onboard one, the screen came up. 
      After a few tests, it seems that the onboard VGA will only work if the graphic card is removed.
      However, with the card presents and the onboard one not working, the card sometimes does not work too, though only once in few tries. When that happens, I just press the reset button and everything goes well as usual.
      So I suspect they must be something not right with both the graphic card and onboard VGA.
      And that is beyond my capability to fix it, so I asked her to bring the PC back to the shop as it is still under warranty.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
      Michael
      You can't have on-board, and real video card working at the same time. It's either this, or that.
      When you install real video card, on-board video is either automatically disabled (newer cards), or has to be disabled in BIOS.
      I don't think, you have to go back to the shop, and I don't see anything wrong with shop people. Maybe they saw on-board video failing, and that's why they recommended real video card.
      BTW, real video card is always better, then on-board video. In most cases, it has better specs, than on-board video, and what's more important, it doesn't use computer's memory (RAM), because it has its own RAM.

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »
        Yes I know that only either shall be working.
        When I first check out the status of both, I found that the driver for the graphic card was not installed.
        That means when the shop /sold passed the brand new PC to my friend 3 months ago, it was configured to use the onboard VGA and the graphic card was presented for no purpose.
        And yes, I know that graphic card's spec is always better than the onboard one, so I suggested to my friend and she agreed to use the card.
        After I've installed the driver for the graphic card, sometimes it still gives a blank screen (no signal). So I guessed the onboard one has to be disable manually. I went into bios, and it was set to PCIeX , so the onboard one has already been disabled.
        One of my computer tech friend suggested that there may be a jumper on the board to enable/disable the onboard VGA, which I didn't look for.
        Since I'm not competent enough to do that, that is the reason why I suggest my friend to have the shop fix it for her.
        At the moment, from the feedback from my friend, the graphic card is working fine, except once in a while it gives a blank screen, and back to normal after reset. Same situation as I've tested. She is yet to send the PC back to the shop.
        Thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 10:32:50 AM »
        Bad, brand new video cards happen.

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 03:18:36 AM »
          That could be a possibility. Only an identical card can confirm that.
          But I know sometimes things like that do happen. Just luck.
          I used to work in the rework team for serverboards, so I know what's in the market ;-)