Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Append the contents of one text file to the end of another text file.  (Read 54459 times)

Tim_C

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

How do I append the contents of one text file to the end of another text file?

I have two text files, A.txt and B.txt.  I want to append the contents of B.txt to the end of A.txt.

NOTE:  I have search the word "append" but apparently there is a APPEND command some how similar to the PATH command.   This is not what I am looking for.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Tim_C

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Also,

Help files indicate the COPY command will append my files together with the "+" function.  I have had no success with this command either.

COPY  A.txt + B.txt     A.txt
      COPY  A.txt    B.txt  + A.txt
      COPY  A.txt + B.txt

Also, I am doing this in a batch file.  Perhaps this makes a difference.

Tim C

Tim_C

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

New Information

I have been able to perform the APPEND at the DOS command line but not within the batch file.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        TYPE B.TXT>>A.TXT  should append b.txt to a.txt (caps are for emphasis only)

Copy a.txt+b.txt requires a new output file, a file cannot be copied onto itself.
        e.g. copy a.txt+b.txt c.txt   (c.txt would contain the appended files.)

This is not a recognized use for the Append command, enter Append/? at the Command Prompt to check the syntax.

Good luck
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Tim_C

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Dusty,

Thank you.  The TYPE command works.

Tim

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
          • Experience: Beginner
          Thanks for coming back to report your success..  Another winner..

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

jdd

Re: Append the contents of one text file to the end of another text file.
          « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »
          Would a perl script to combine multiple files work faster? I have to combine 4 files that are at least a gig into one file.

Dias de verano

Re: Append the contents of one text file to the end of another text file.
          « Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »
          Would a perl script to combine multiple files work faster? I have to combine 4 files that are at least a gig into one file.

I shouldn't think so. It's just a different way of manipulating the filesystem.