Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Sharing [WMP 11]  (Read 4127 times)

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Media Sharing [WMP 11]
    « on: June 28, 2008, 06:18:50 AM »
    It's part of my daily routine to watch TV shows/movies on my Xbox 360 by streaming them from my computer with Windows Media Player 11. I've been doing it for months without any problems, but suddenly my Windows Media Player 11 isn't working as it should..

My library is now empty and I can't add files to it; nothing happens when I drag and drop media files and when I use the tools in WMP to add files to the library. Also when I open Media Sharing in WMP my Xbox 360 is not there, and there are problems such as the 'OK', 'Cancel', 'Apply' and 'X' buttons not working, which means I have to open Task Manager and close the program from there. Another problem in Media Sharing is when I click 'Settings' the whole program crashes..

I've tried restoring my system to a date when it was working and running an SFC scan with cmd before the restore. I've also checked my firewall and nothing's changed. All the WMP components are allowed through the firewall as they always have been.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Media Sharing [WMP 11]
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
    It's part of my daily routine to watch TV shows/movies on my Xbox 360 by streaming them from my computer with Windows Media Player 11.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,58736.0.html
    Copyrighted material
        * Finding places on the Internet to watch movies or TV shows or listen to copyrighted music.

::)

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:25:37 AM »
      Wow, that was helpful.. It's not illegal, it's called file sharing.

Why do you think major file sharing sites like Mininova and the rest of them don't get shut down? There are no laws against it. It'd only be illegal if I burned them to DVD and sold them, which I don't.

Epic fail for you there Carbon.

*sigh*.

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 06:39:27 AM »
        I'm running Vista. I can't reinstall it because I have the latest version installed and the version on the Microsoft website is an older version.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
        Carbon was correct in the fact that Computer Hope and the community on the forums cannot assist you with watching TV shows through Windows Media player. Yes, it's true that some file sharing sites (many out side of the United States) are still up and running. However, according to copyright laws watching TV shows over your computer is at this time considered illegal by the copyright holders (those producing the TV shows).

However, that being said, from the sounds of it. It does appear that you have some type of issue with WMP and if anyone has feedback or suggestions you're more than welcome to make them to help with getting Kreach3r's other media files working (not TV shows).

Many of the suggestions I'd offer it sounds like you've already tried. I can however, suggest the following things I'd try.

1. See if you can get media files to work in another player first on your computer. For example, try VLC or an alternative media player.

2. Try reinstalling the media codecs, I'd suggest a codec package like CCCP (http://www.cccp-project.net/).

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
        -Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:57 AM »
        All right, thanks for clearing that up, Admin.

Another suggestion I have is does it work with another version of Windows Media Player?

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »
          Media Sharing to the Xbox 360 only works with Windows Media Player 11.

Is there no way to repair Windows Media Player? I don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't allow a program to be repaired, what can people do when their software stops working? It makes no sense..

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
          Is there no way to repair Windows Media Player? I don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't allow a program to be repaired, what can people do when their software stops working? It makes no sense..
          Reinstalling the program is pretty much repairing the program. Can you try it:
          http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »
          As far as your XBOX 360 not showing up try:

On the computer open windows Media 11, click library Media sharing, and then click the Xbox icon and allow.

Do you also have a Zune by any chance?
          Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »
            @ Carbon: I've tried reinstalling it but it's an older version than I have now so it won't install..

@ Admin: There's no Xbox icon in the Media Sharing window. It's disappeared and there are now certain other problems that I stated in my first post.

I don't understand what happened, I haven't changed anything, it's just suddenly broken, it makes no sense at all and it doesn't look like Microsoft have left me any way of fixing it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
            I'm not sure but System Restore has a magical way of fixing things.

I suggest you try it. It's always reversible.

Kreach3r

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
              I've tried System Restore. It says in my first post.

I seriously hope I don't have to wait for Windows Media Player 12 to fix this problem, haha.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Computer Hope
              « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
              Maybe someone with an Xbox can provide you with some additional feedback. Honestly, I just have a PS3 and Wii so don't have much experience with an Xbox. If the Xbox icon is not showing up maybe it has something to do with your network settings and your computers or Xbox inability to see your computer. Experiencing any type of networking issues on your computer or Xbox?

I know you said you disabled the firewall, which is definately a great idea. Maybe look for any type of other networking background applications that could be preventing communication between the two devices.
              -Albert Einstein