Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Audio Only Coming From One Speaker  (Read 4956 times)

computerayuda

Topic Starter

Audio Only Coming From One Speaker
    « on: June 24, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
    Hi everyone-

I am running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2) on an HP nc8430 laptop.  Recently, I've noticed that audio from the built in speakers is only coming from one of them, the left speaker.  I am not aware of any changes I made for this to happen; up till now my audio has been working fine, coming out from both speakers.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?  I'm not even sure if it's a driver issue, it could be a hardware problem, or something totally different.

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Audio Only Coming From One Speaker
      « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »
      If it was I doubt it be the pc hardware.  There just dual speakers right? 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »
        Check the connector that feeds to the right speaker, see if its not loose or spray an electrical cleaner on the plug. 
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

computerayuda

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »
          Are "dual speakers" just the built-in speakers within the laptop?  If so, yes, that's what's on my laptop.

squall, there are no wires to the speakers as they are built in.

Here's a picture of the laptop I have: http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/14619.jpg

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
            Sorry I missed that it was, dual refers too any two sets of the same object.  Like if you have more then one cd reader.  Sadly i can't help then an recommened some pc support that does this work in your area, or if anyone is laptop savy here.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
            Try plugging some headphones into the headphone jack and see if you get sound in both sides or just one side. If it still comes in only one side, there is probably an issue with the sound hardware itself. If the sound is fine, one of the wires connecting the speakers to the sound card internally has probably broken or come loose. If this is the case, you will need to find someone with a knowledge of laptops, wiring, and soldering... unless you yourself can do it.

there are no wires to the speakers as they are built in.

Poppycock. There are still wires, whether they're built in or not. And those wires can still break/come loose.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
              Thanks man yes that is true an even thought I dont think thats what I was think but rather the cable that runs from the main one to the subwoffer to the other speaker is what he thought I was really refering to or something

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
              make sure something didn't jostle the balance setting or something. It would definitely be embarassing to open up a laptop to check the wires only to discover later that the balance was simply set in one direction...
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
              make sure something didn't jostle the balance setting or something. It would definitely be embarassing to open up a laptop to check the wires only to discover later that the balance was simply set in one direction...

Ah yes. Very good point, BC.

donkeypunch

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:35:02 PM »
                I would check the balance in your audio properties as well. Someone or something may have slid it to either the left of the right.

paudashlake

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »
                Check you volume properties by double clicking on the little speaker in the taskbar.  Make sure the centering bar is in the middle.  If that is not the problem, maybe you need to get a new speaker (however you do that)