Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Avast Anti-Virus Warning  (Read 3212 times)

sierradad

Avast Anti-Virus Warning
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:30:21 AM »
While online earlier today, I got the Avast popup window at the bottom right of the screen saying there is a new version of Avast available, and do I want to install it. I told it yes, it downloaded and installed, then I let it reboot.

Immediately, I started having problems. First it showed up in My Yahoo page whenever I clicked a link to view a news item. The system froze (I could move the mouse pointer but nothing else worked....ctrl/alt/del wouldn't restart or do anything....had to do hard shutdowns). This happened about 4 times before I realized it was AFTER I had installed the new Avast version. Same thing happened when I tried to access email (when ZoneAlarm asked if I wanted Avast email scanner to access the net, it froze....had to do another hard shutdown).

Finally, I went offline and uninstalled Avast (from Control Panel), then reinstalled the original version from the setupeng install file from the original download. That earlier version is now running, and the problem is solved.

Apparently there is some conflict in this new version, because it is now running fine with the earlier version. Hope this helps someone else.

Best....sierradad

mark_c

Re: Avast Anti-Virus Warning
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 06:10:27 PM »
Good one Sd, nice to let e'one know.  I use AVG myself and apart from their various update sites getting overloaded works fine. Never tried avast buit sounds like you did the right thing.

Murphy

Re: Avast Anti-Virus Warning
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 03:25:41 PM »
Im using new Avast in XP with no probs so far. :)