Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: YouTube Ordered to Give Complete User Logs to Viacom  (Read 15412 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: YouTube Ordered to Give Complete User Logs to Viacom
    « Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 03:36:41 PM »
    There full of it.  to bad I reinstalled windows that should change my one IP address.  Heres something else.  Even if they did get that info its unlawful cause unless they look at the time it was acessed your not going to find the person who was looking at it.  In other words you could be at CA from PA an choose one of Gates old pcs an got on in an internet cafe. something.  Theres that one time user but the cafe would get punished.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
    • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »
    Reinstalling Windows is not likely going to change your static IP address. In addition I believe if it does change it ISP's are required to log associated members to IP's in case problems arise.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
      Thats dumb but like I said they cant pin point everone.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
        I totally disagree with Google just giving away ALL users viewing information it's a huge privacy issue.

i argree with you 100% especially if the give away the IP address that could let Viacom send us crap and viruses or even get stuff off of our computer, even if those lawyers "guard" the info, somebody could get it then we could have a massive viruses epidemic with thousands of people getting viruses, if that happeneded then i would email google about it and tell them to sue Viacom. i have a Youtube account and i tell you i dont upload copyrighted stuff without permission.

If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
          Thats what I'm saing. 

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
          • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          « Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 02:34:26 AM »
          Angry YouTube users boycott, Viacom seems to respond

Enraged YouTube users are protesting a controversial court ruling last week by uploading homemade "Viacom sucks" videos, and calling for mass boycotts of Viacom entertainment vehicles such as Paramount Pictures and MTV.

Link

Back to Main

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
          Angry YouTube users boycott, Viacom seems to respond

...and calling for mass boycotts of Viacom entertainment vehicles such as Paramount Pictures and MTV.

Wow, considering the main demographic of youTube users, that won't last long.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
            I wasnt thinking exatly that but there are some people who are going to disagree an there going to have to let them.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
              well i just disagree that viacom is getting the info on users ip addresses, now i can see why the want to delete the copyright crap off of yt but they shouldnt ban or delete user's accounts by just watching copyrighted stuff on youtube especially if there watching it from a user who got copyright permissions.
              If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
              so is it a good thing that my Ip changes every day?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
              and why does it do that?

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
              • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Computer Hope
              « Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

Google Inc. and Viacom Inc. have agreed to allow Google to anonymize YouTube visitor data before complying with a judge's order to deliver the data to Viacom as part of a broader copyright lawsuit.

Link
              -Albert Einstein

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
              and why does it do that?

I dunno..... Ive been trying to figure that out to everyone in my area has the same problem

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »
              It's called a dynamic IP.
              Some ISPs assign static ones, others dynamic.
              Mine is reassigned every time I connect, so if I should wish to change my IP I just reset my router.
              so is it a good thing that my Ip changes every day?
              That depends on whether you want it to or not.

DaveLembke

Sage
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
              Unless you are wardriving on some one elses connection, the dynamic IP still references to your modems MAC Address in ARP with the ISP, so no matter how many times your change it, your ISP still tracks and ( allows internet ) via the MAC address reference. If you change your modem or MAC address by hacking the modem if the modem allows for cloning MACs or alteration, you will lose your internet until your ISP references the MAC to your account.

If you are a wardriver or internet cafe squatter.... it can only be tracked to the cafe's or parasite wardriving access. Only way to be annonymous then is to keep changing your MAC address in your laptop so that logs at the cafe's dont show your trail.

Best of all its best to be legal and avoid the sneakyness that can land your *censored* in a lot of trouble. IF they want to find you, they have ways of doing it no matter how well you cover your tracks, so its not worth it. The best hackers out there use annonymizers to avoid being tracked down the best that they can, and some even move to different hardware frequently to avoid being tracked at a lower hardware level.

For me personally I know of ways to be annonymous, but would never do anything to get into trouble... """ITS NOT WORTH IT"""