Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with Vista and web browsing  (Read 19573 times)

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

Problems with Vista and web browsing
    « on: July 06, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
    I cannot connect to any web site via any browser. I am running Vista with IE, Firefox and Opera.  None of them can get to any web sire: Microsoft.com, HP.com, etc ....

I have looked at firewall settings and they are enabled for each of the browsers.  I even tried turning the fire wall off.  This didn't work.

I can ping computerhope.com.  Norton can update virus definitions.  This computer did work out of the box, I updated windows in April, and it broke firefox.  Just recently IE has broken.  I don't know if any windows updates were preformed to break IE.

Help!!!

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

Re: Problems with Vista and web browsing
      « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »
      we need more information to help you.  Read this: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33326.0.html

What version of IE are you running?  What do you mean by firefox and IE "broke"?

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
        Thanks for the repply.

My hardware configuration is:
        Hardware: HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop
        AMD Turion 64 x2 1.80 ghz
        1 GB Ram
        142 GM HD, 118 GB free
        Running IE verson: 7.0.6001.18000

The computer was fine out of the box.  I downloaded Firefox and Opera.  They both installed and functioned fine.  When I installed a windows update earlier this year, Firefox and Opera could no longer connect to any web site.  Now IE cannot.

This is my wife's computer.  She was OK with using just IE.  She doesn't use it that often.  I don't know the exact date when IE stopped connecting.  I do have windows update running in the background.

The message I get when trying to connect to any web site, HP, Apple, Computer Hope is:
        Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

There are diagnostic buttons on the error page  that I've tried.  They couldn't fix the problem.

Stretch

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
        Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
        cmd
        Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
        ipconfig /flushdns
        ipconfig /registerdns
        ipconfig /release
        ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't help..

Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
        Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't help...

Go Start>Run, type in:
        cmd
        Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
        netsh int ip reset reset.log
        Hit Enter.
        Type in:
        netsh winsock reset catalog
        Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »
          Thanks for the suggestions, they didn't work.

When I do the ipconfig
          I get the message:
          The requested operation requires elevation.
          I've never seen this message before.  It happens with all except for the renew

I tried winsock and I get an message:
          Registry Import Information not Found
          I click "OK" and it does some stuff, then tells me to reboot.
          I click "OK", then it comes up with the message:
          Run-time error '53':
          File not found

I tried netsh int and that fails also.  The messages I'm getting are:
          Reseting Echo Request, failed.
          Reseting Global, dailed
          Reseting Interface, failed.
          There's no user specified setting to be reset.

I get the elevation message again when I to the netsh with winsock.

I thougth this may be a virus thing.  I ran windows defender and that was clean.  Symantec is also coming up clean (at least I can connect up and download virus definitions).

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »
          No, no, elevation means, that Vista wants you to run "cmd", for instance, as Administrator.
          Repeat all steps. but this time, instead of hitting Enter, use Ctrl+Shift + Enter.
          If User Account Control kicks in, use Alt + C to quickly close the User Account Control dialog.

In case of programs, like WinSockFix, simply right click on a program, and click "Run as Administrator".

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »
            Got ya about elevated levels.  I did the "cmd' ctrl-shift-enter and I performed the ipconfigs just fine.  It made no difference.  I still can't connect to any websites.

I could not get winsock to run properly.  I did find the right click, run as administrator.  That made no difference from running not as administrator.  I get the same error messages.  Needless to say, this did not fix the problem.

I successfully ran netsh.  This didn't fix the problem either.

One thing is new, I cannot enable the windows firewall.  I do it and it stays until I shut down.  When I restart it is turned off again.  Is this related?

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:47:15 PM »
            Download HijackThis:
            http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
            Click on Download HijackThis Installer
            Post HijackTHis log.

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:30:07 AM »
              I've attached the log file.

In case it doesn't come though here is a cut and paste:
              Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
              Scan saved at 1:25:46 AM, on 7/10/2008
              Platform: Windows Vista  (WinNT 6.00.1904)
              MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16681)
              Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
              C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
              C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
              C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
              C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
              C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
              C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
              C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
              C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
              C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe
              C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe
              C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
              C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
              C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
              C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
              C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE
              C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Mobile-based device management] %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPStart] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPStart.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
              O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
              O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
              O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
              O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
              O9 - Extra button: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-222 - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-223 - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
              O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
              O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
              O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
              O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
              O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
              O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
              O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
              O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
              O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
              O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
              O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Roxio MyDVD Basic v9\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
              O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
              O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
              O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
              O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
              O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
              O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
              O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
              O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
              O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
              O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
              End of file - 6387 bytes

[recovering disk space -- attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
              The log is totally clean. It must be something else.
              Try to use your browsers in Safe Mode with Networking

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
                Sorry I've been so quiet.

I did boot i safe mode with network support.  I still cannot connect up.

Even more interesting, the IP address I'm getting from windows is not correct when in safe mode.  I'm getting a 169.254 number where I should be getting an 192.168 number.  This is what I get when I don't start in safe mode.  The subnet mask is also incorrect it is 255.255.0.0 where the first 0 should be 255.

What are your thoughts?

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
                Did you call your ISP?

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:29 PM »
                  No, I don't think it is my ISP, ATT.  I think it is just this Vista computer.

As I said, this computer worked until a windows upgrade.  After that web browsing failed.

Also when I boot in normal mode, I am able to connect to the net.  Windows update and Symantec Live update work, I can also ping this host.  I just can't connect via any web browser to the internet.

My other computers work fine, 4 PC and 2 macs.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 10:08:33 PM »
                  Do you use Zone Alarm?

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »
                    I don't know if I use Zone Alarm or not.  What is Zone Alarm?

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »
                    Zone Alarm is a firewall, but you mentioned Symantec, so you must be using Norton, rather.
                    It may be your culprit, since you 're able to connect in Safe Mode, where Norton is not loaded, yet.
                    This is what I suggest...
                    Download Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
                    Physically disconnect from the internet (disconnect modem's cable).
                    Uninstall Norton, using the above tool.
                    Turn Windows firewall on:
                    Go Start>Control Panel. Double click on the Security Center icon. Click on the Windows Firewall icon beneath the status updates. Click On, then OK.
                    Reconnect modem's cable.
                    Restart computer in Normal Mode, and see, if you can connect.
                    We'll go from there.

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
                      I tried it, but it didn't work.

I just reloaded the system from the original disks.  I do think it was a failed windows update that did the system in.

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
                      Does everything work now?

stretch44

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
                        Yes.  I reloaded everything and it works.

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »
                        Cool :)