Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing Hard Drive space  (Read 3913 times)

Darkit

Topic Starter

Missing Hard Drive space
    « on: July 10, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
    I have a problem that has left me utterly baffled. I have a 300gb hard drive in my brand spanking new Toshiba Satellite laptop. For some reason though, vista thinks that of 40gb or so are being used, when in reality they are not. So I am using 98 gibs, when WinDirStat and counting up all the gb in use is giving me 52.4 and 46.2gb, respectively. The trick is though, when I get on WinDirStat on detect unknown files, there is suddenly a file that is 41gbs and is labeled as unknown. I can't delete this file or anything.

Anyone know what is going on.

[recovering disk space -- attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Missing Hard Drive space
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:00:25 PM »
    Interesting....WinDirStat shows 49.5GB of Uknown space on my Vista, as well.
    Thanks for pointing out.
    Must investigate.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
    Here we go: http://blog.windirstat.info/20061013/unknown-space/

WDS shows a certain item labelled “<Unknown>” and recently someone posted a comment asking for details:

"i think it would be nice to put in the faq or in help or in some docs what’s in the “unknown” space

sometimes it’s an huge amount of space… like 700 or more MB … i think it could be the “system volume information” but… what mysterous things are within this space? he he he…"

This mysterious item is just the difference between what Windows reports as the free space on the volume minus size of the files WDS can access. Please note the part WDS can access! This is the important point here. WDS cannot access the files under System Volume Information on all the (NTFS?) drives, so it cannot sum up the sizes of these items. And by the way, we have had reports of up to 30 GB of “<Unknown>” space.

Now what is stored in this directory? If you could gain SYSTEM access (and I will not tell you how that is possible …), you would see that the system keeps some binary log files there, but these take up only a small portion of what is stored in there. The biggest portion is usually being taken up by the System Restore Points (SRPs) you can create (or that are automatically created by software installers). The contents are a dump of the registry at the time the SRP was taken and of relevant files (usually from the system folders). I personally turned this feature of since I have a different backup strategy - however, this may not apply to everyone, so you’ll have to live with the “<Unknown>” item :mrgreen:.

There also have been reports that some third-party software stores data there, but I cannot confirm this. Also in the very unlikely case that your file system is corrupt there may be a non-zero sized “<Unknown>” item. In that latter case run a file system check and the problems should be fixed afterwards.

// Oliver

PS: If you run under a non-privileged account this could also cause a lot of files to be inaccessible and therefore to count as “<Unknown>” …

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
    Actually, if you highlight "Unknown" in main pane, and you scroll through right pane, it will, at least show you what type of files, what sizes, and what number of them are hidden in that mysterious section.
    This is mine:

In my case, it adds up to even more, than 49.5GB. It's 111.1GB