Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I remove an illegal copy of Windows 98SE?  (Read 2988 times)

budgie2thmkr

Topic Starter

How do I remove an illegal copy of Windows 98SE?
    « on: July 17, 2008, 07:38:28 AM »
    I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude CPi laptop, ready for installation of an operating system. My neighbor (don't trust them for help) installed an illegal copy of Windows 98 SE, and I need to remove it ASAP so that I may install the Windows 98 that I purchased. How the heck do I do that?

JXY

Hopeful
      Re: How do I remove an illegal copy of Windows 98SE?
      « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »
      Welcome to CH forums.  ;D

Assuming that you have one disk and no data at risk, you can easily erase your entire hard drive using kill disk. It's a free utility which well..as you may have guessed...wipes your drive clean. You can then perform a clean installation of Windows 98.

download link: http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

hope this helps.
      Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

budgie2thmkr

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
        JXY, Thanks I'll give it a go, just as soon as I can get a disk burned!

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »
        You don't need to "kill" anything. Legit Win 98 CD will do everything for you: http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.php

JXY

Hopeful
          « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
          didn't you purchase a windows 98 cd?

or are you having to burn an .iso image?
          Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
          I have heard that even if you have an illegal copy of a MS OS on a system, as long as you buy a legit copy and keep that copy available if you were to be audited by MS, that they would allow for the install to remain on the laptop as if the legit copy was installed, but without having to go through a full reinstall.

This was part of the program that MS was doing for the people who installed XP to various systems and MS is giving the ability to come forward and without lawsuit pay for it even if it is a duplicate install.

What I heard some people doing to avoid buying OS's is raiding recycling plants for computers thrown away to grab the XP and Vista keys off of the sides of the systems and using those to install to bare bone boxes and that is not allowed even if the Keys were thrown away and someone found them useful for new system builds!!!! MS States that those systems of which Keys were OEM to those boxes have to remain in or on those boxes.

The loop hole here is that you could grab those systems and install a new motherboard and move the original CPU from that dead system into the new board and be legally legit with MS because they pair their OEM Keys that came with say your HP computer in reference to the computer case and CPU. You can swap motherboards and all other internals, but as long as the case and CPU is used with the key, you dont have to be the original owner  of the system for it to be legit.

If you are the owner of a computer and the motherboard dies and you upgrade it and it was an eMachines for example, you can install the motherboard into that system and be ok, because you are the original owner of the MS software, so MS got their $$$$ from you. You may run into problems though activating the key though and you will have to express that you swapped motherboards and will be at the will of the India MS Activation as to if they will approve or disapprove the activation.