Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reasonable Obsolescence - A Survey  (Read 6783 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Reasonable Obsolescence - A Survey
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »
rjbinney - out of curiosity what needs repairing that will cost $1000 ?

Well, there we're in kind of a gray area... (There's a whole other thread to THAT problem). Dell says it's the motherboard, but even though I have spent dozens of hours following their lead at self-diagnosis (forget my hourly rate!), I still need to pay them $270 to diagnose the problem. Which they insist is the motherboard.

I would get a 2nd quote on that price to check someone wasn't trying it on, or trying  to persuade me to buy a new lappie early

Haven't found a soul willing to work on a Dell lappie!

This particular notebook hasn't been subject to too much abuse; I have a Toshiba Satellite that I have been lugging in and out of the worst spots of the Third World for four years (and it was well-used before I got it), plugging it into networks powered by diesel generators and servers under tents... And never a problem.

I guess I'm just really disappointed that two years seems to be the shelf-life for something like this. Shame on all of us as consumers for accepting that.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 12:55:04 PM by rjbinney »
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.