Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Sound  (Read 8538 times)

Sarah Reyes

No Sound
« on: March 18, 2004, 02:30:23 PM »
By accident, I deleted the Sound Control Volume from my add/delete programs list. So I decided to re-install Windows XP Pro to get it back, but it didn't work. I don't know how to get the sound back on my computer, I tried checking to see what kind of sound card I have but the computer did not list one. I hope you guys can help me, I miss listening to music! Thank you in advance.

Dustin Ludwig

Re: No Sound
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 03:26:41 PM »
Sarah,

Lately, I've been reinstalling Windows XP Pro quite a bit on my computer.  This is because I work at a new email technical support center at www.whatswrongnow.com, and I've been practicing fixes on my home computer.

When I finish installing Windows XP Pro, I, too, have no sound.  This is because my sound card is integrated into the motherboard.  I need to use my drivers and utilities CD that came with the motherboard, and then I have sound.

So find out if your sound card is part of the motherboard.  If it is, you may have to follow a similar procedure.

Dustin Ludwig
www.whatswrongnow.com

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 05:11:30 PM »
It is a cheapo e-Machines computer. I'm not sure.. the *censored* thing only came with one CD. Something to do with windows. do you think it is on that CD? If not, is there an internet/download solution? Sorry but I seem to need a little more information, I'm computer slow. Thanks!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 07:09:20 PM »
Sarah,

It's possible that the drivers may be on the CD you have. However, we would recommend you try the below recommendations. Because the sound card has worked in the past in Windows XP it is likely it already has the drivers and that it is compatible with Windows XP.

Open Device manager and see if any “sound, video, and game controllers” listed. If so Click the “+” sign and remove any sound video game controllers. In addition if you have any “Other Devices” remove any of these devices as well. Additional information and help with getting into the device manager can be found in the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm

Once this has been completed attempt to reboot the computer and see if Windows re-detects the sound card. It is likely that it may ask for the drivers if it is unable to find compatible drivers. If this occurs attempt to insert the CD you have and/or you’re Windows XP CD if you have one of these. This should hopefully reinstall your Sound card.

If this does not resolve your issue try visiting the below Microsoft windows update site, often Microsoft will updates for computer hardware devices on the update page. Additional information about updating Microsoft Windows can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm

Finally if this still does not resolve your issue you will need to determine the type of sound card you have in the computer and/or attempt to download the sound drivers from E-Machines. A listing of sound drivers can also be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/drivers/sound.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

sarah

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 06:12:54 PM »
Thanks for the help, i now have my sound back. Thanks for all your help.