Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't download files from internet  (Read 4141 times)

jd3

Computer won't download files from internet
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
Well, I've been working on this all day. Trying everything I can think of to make it work, but I can't, so I'm hoping someone else has solved the issue.

Basically what's happening is when you click on a link to download a file, it will act like it downloaded the file, but you can't find it. It's only failing when you try to download the file (both save and run options). I tried with a jpg (as another test) and when I right clicked the link to it and told it to "Save Target As" the download disappeared, but when I opened the file in IE7 and told it to save image, it worked fine. Beyond that the internet works fine.

Occasionally you would catch the file appearing on the desktop for a second before disappearing. It's like it's being downloaded and then moved, but it's not in the trash and the only hit when you search the hard drive is the 'Recent Files' directory, and when you double-click that short cut, it says the file cannot be found.

I'm using Vista SP1. The issue crops up in both IE7 and Firefox 3 (which I just installed tonight). The computer is an Acer Aspire 9410 with a 1.73 GHz Pentium Dual Core with 2GB of RAM.

I've taken a look at running processes, installed software, running services and everything looks good. I've tried turning off the firewalls, security, and UAC, but that didn't solve the problem. I've reset IE's security settings. Then installed Firefox and got the same issue.

Any ideas would be welcomed. I know there was another thread that I'd run across, that's why I'm here. The issue sounds very similar.

I honestly thought if I installed Firefox it would DL and I could peg it as an IE issue, but that was disappointing.