Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Can't Connect To Live Through Hardware Firewall (smoothwall)  (Read 5566 times)

gimpy530

Topic Starter

Rookie

Short: Xbox 360 can't connect to internet, fails at MTU, Firewall seems to be the problem, changing MTU values on interfaces of firewall does not fix it

Long: So, here I am in a new apartment and we are setting up a new network, the topology is as follows:

Cable modem --> Firewall --> switch --> Linksys WRT54G with DDWRT --> XBOX 360

The connection between the router and 360 is wireless.

When I test connection to XBOX Live, it fails at MTU....every time. Last year I tried a similar setup with a different 360, only that one took the WRT54G completely out of the picture. The 360 was connected directly to the switch. The same problem, 360 Live test fails at MTU. So we know the WRT54G is not the problem.

What does work: If I connect to XBOX 360 to the switch, then directly into the modem, not using the firewall, and it worked.

So, the switch and WRT54G are not the problem, the firewall is the problem. I have tried changing the MTU values of both the red (connects to modem) and green (connects to switch) interfaces to 1492, 1400, and of course the default 1500. Still fails at MTU, every...single....time.

So, what can I do to try and get this fixed? Microsoft was so help at all, they said nothing more than "You have an incompatible networking device" which is a bull**** excuse.

gimpy530

Topic Starter

Rookie

Someone elsewhere was able to dig up a forum post that lists ports that needs to be open, that are not listed on Microsoft's KB article on what ports the Xbox 360 uses.  If you have this problem, this is what you need to do:

1. Set a static IP for your Xbox. In my case it's 192.168.10.50 and it's on my green network, and I set the IP on the Xbox itself.
      2. In your Smoothie, under Networking click on the Incoming tab.
      3. Forward ports TCP/UDP 88 and TCP/UDP 3074 to the Static IP set for you Xbox.
      4. Under the Outgoing tab, allow ports 88 and 3074. (When you allow ports on the Outgoing tab, it automatically allows both UDP and TCP ports)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Thank you for posting that information.

Though I dont have any use for it, it will definitely prove useful to someone.