Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio devices detected by Sound Control  (Read 6249 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    No audio devices detected by Sound Control
    « on: December 07, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »
    Following a Windows XP SP3 reinstall, , my machine is now without any
    audio adapter/multimedia audio controller.
    Each time I reboot it asks for smax4pnp.exe which is SoundMaxIntegrated Digital Audio that was my Audio device prior to reinstall also with SP3. It shows in a list I located but now do not know where I found it.  Sound Control does not detect any Audio  devices and I am unable to get the SoundMax Digital Auidio without paying another $29.00. I think the original was Intel 8280 1FB ICH6-AC'79 Audio Controller [B-1] but am not sure. This was detected in another scan by EVEREST Home Edition.
    Please help. I was up til after 3AM this morn and now still trying to fix this problem. There is no sound icon in taskbar.
    I ran Restore and of course it only goes back to yesterday. Is ther anyway I can recover the previous restore prior to the new reinstall? That would solve this problem and I then would not have to change all my settigs. i do so  regret doing this stupid act. I now have many more problems than I did before. boo hoo banging head against a brick wall!
    Pat
    Forgot to add that my machine is Dell Demension 4700 2005 purchased new. Use IE 8 Browser

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: No audio devices detected by Sound Control
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
    Travel to the Dell site...
    Enter the service tag # from the back of the machine...
    DLoad the appropiate sound drivers and install them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
      Thank you so much patio. I had tried last year to get an update on all my drivers and Dell wanted much $$$ so I did not believe they would replace any but YEP, they did and the Soung Max was one of them. I did not install all of them and realize that I do need to install the updated storage firmware ones. I have to do a double reboot now because it hangs on the floppy one. That is so minor compared to what lies ahead. I have 5 years of tweaking and updating and removing unwanted files, etc. to do now to get machine back to the appearance and easy use that it was before. OOHHH if I had only checked here first for what I was looking for. That will be another post on another topic.  I have toolbars and search bars on top and botton of screen and browser that have long ago been removed. I don't even know what they are called now, the bottom one has no ID at all and the Windows search is an anoyance.   But thanks to you dear tecky, I have sound and a icon in task bar. Thank you, thank you , thankyou for your hard and diligent work.
      Pat

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
      Glad you're fixed up amd Welcome Aboard !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »
        LOL After wrestling with Dell to get the drivers reinstalled I realized that I had the Resource CD so used it to install all the correct ones.
        I just finished editing the Autoruns and hope I don't have a problem when I reboot. Now I have this huge amount of invalid uninstallers to deal with in Add/Remove. Is there a tool that will do that for me?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
        ...Now I have this huge amount of invalid uninstallers to deal with in Add/Remove. Is there a tool that will do that for me?
        CCleaner - http://www.piriform.com/