Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to Slave Hard Drive that other PC won't recognize  (Read 3259 times)

carriehoff

Topic Starter

Starter

Trying to Slave Hard Drive that other PC won't recognize
    « on: July 31, 2008, 07:53:09 AM »
    Hi all,

In an old Dimension 2350 with Win 2000, the machine wouldn't start.  It seemed to hang at the Dell Screen.   With a little more prodding I managed to get the machine to go to Windows Recovery Console, but unfortunately, it was the end of the day - so I shut it down with plans to do some data retrieval in the morning.  No luck.  In the morning, I kept getting a 'Primary hard Drive not detected' or some error of that nature.  I went back to the Recovery Console, but this time got a message that Windows couldn't recognize the hard drive.
      So, I grabbed another perfectly working Dimension 2350 and tried to set the bad drive up as a slave.  As far as I can see, the jumper settings are correct, the cables are secured.  If i remove the slave drive (remember, this is the drive that the first pc was not recognizing), from the BIOS settings, the machine boots fine with only the master.  When I set the BIOS to AUTO detect a secondary drive, the machine does not recognize either drive.   That's right, I get a message that says it could not detect Primary 0 or Primary 1.  I go into the BIOS and find 'Unknown' in both slots.
      What about the bad drive, when BIOS is enabled to detect it, would be causing the detection of both drives to fail?
      What could I be doing wrong?  The good drive in the good Dimension is a Maxtor.  The bad drive coming out of the other Dimension is a Western Digital. 
      If you can visualize this, I have the jumper set on the Maxtor to the last vertical set of pins closest to the IDE cable (it only has 9 pins, so there is actually 1 more column of pins, but only 1 pin in that column.  On the Western Digital (that would be the slave) I have the jumper set in the third column, vertically.  (there are five columns of pins). 

Carrie

xavier

Re: Trying to Slave Hard Drive that other PC won't recognize
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »
    remove the jumper and see what happens

carriehoff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
      Actually, I was wrong about the jumper location in the WD, but I have double-checked the documentation and it was and has been in the correct location for a slave drive. 
      A friend says that I should check to see if the drive is getting power, and that if the slave drive is that badly damaged, to where it can't get power from the power cable, then the 'circuit' wouldn't be complete, and drive detection of both drives would then fail.  Does that make sense to anybody?  Can anybody comment on that?

I will remove the jumper of the slave to see what happens.  I have tried just about everything else.

Carrie

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
      A friend says that I should check to see if the drive is getting power, and that if the slave drive is that badly damaged, to where it can't get power from the power cable, then the 'circuit' wouldn't be complete, and drive detection of both drives would then fail.  Does that make sense to anybody?  Can anybody comment on that?

Well, the stuff your friend says is pretty much nonsense, but in a funny kind of way he or she is also pretty near the truth because if the drive had failed in certain way, it could take down the detection of the other drive. Remember this is a highly suspect drive.

carriehoff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
        Well,  I can't get either the bad dell or the good dell to recognize the drive whether I slave it, or make it the only hard drive.  I've hooked it up to the secondary controller cables and still get 'unknown device'.  I can't hear any spinning or clicking when I power up the machine.  Is it safe to assume that this drive is toast?

Carrie

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »
        I can't hear any spinning or clicking when I power up the machine.  Is it safe to assume that this drive is toast?

In my opinion, yes.