Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading computer  (Read 2177 times)

Soviet_Genius

Upgrading computer
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »
Right now I have an HP Pavilion a6000n computer. I have around $350-$400 CAD to spend. I want to upgrade the motherboard and add another GeForce 8600 (the motherboard I have now only has one PCI-E slot). This will also need a new PSU because the one I have now is only 300W. Does anyone have any recommendations? My processor is an AMD Athlon x2 64 4200+ 2.2 GHz. For RAM, I have the 2x512 sticks that came with the computer which I don't plan to use because they are DDR2-533 (unless they're forwards compatible?) and 2x1 GB DDR2-800. It's also got a 250 GB SATA hard drive, an IDE DVD drive, and media card reader. Another thing, will the case be compatible?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Upgrading computer
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
    Soviet Genius, My recommendation would be to replace the computer as by the time you address "ALL" the issues that will arise you will probably be over your budget . The upper end of your budget puts you in the ballpark to buy a replacement and if you include the options to buy used or refurbished (particularly if you don't insist on a vista loaded machine) will get you what you want. take the time to research available sellers,private and commercial and i believe you will be better off than the "upgrade" route. truenorth

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »
    I doubt a new 400 dollar computer will be any better than what I have now...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
      soviet genius, It is the "genius" part of your handle on CH forums that led me to make the suggestion i did. Look up a Dell XPS model WHL and tell me what you think. Then i will tell you how much i paid for that computer about 1 year ago.You have to have initative,patience,tenacity,fortitude and desire to achieve the suggestion i have given you.However if you have a bit of luck some of these other attributes will be proportionately less required.truenorth
      « Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:12:59 PM by truenorth »

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »
      Another thing, will the case be compatible?
      I think is a critical point here, and I don't know the answer.  You might try a forum or two in this search result: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HP+forum&btnG=Google+Search

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »
      I guess I can save up a bit longer and get a new case....