Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Keeps Freezing  (Read 4383 times)

aemrich

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer Keeps Freezing
    « on: July 30, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
    My computer has started to freeze for about 15 seconds periodically, usually when I ask it to do a new task.  the program that is trying to do the task freezes, along with my task bar, although my other open programs still work well.  After about 15 seconds, the frozen program and my task bar unfreeze.  I've looked around a lot, but I haven't found a to this problem.  I regularly scan for spyware and defrag.  Please help.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer Keeps Freezing
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
    Wondering what progs do this and also what the CPU useage is like during the freeze.  Any prog - or a few specifics?  How much RAM are you running?

Bring up task manager and minimize it, let it sit in system tray so you can see the small CPU icon.  Sounds like maybe something is calling on max CPU for that 15 seconds tho not sure why right now - possibly quite a few things to consider - thinking hat on.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

paudashlake

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
    we need more information to help you out with your problem.

This link might be useful:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.html

aemrich

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
      Thanks for the replies, here's some more information:
      Error: No error message
      Computer: Lenovo T61, 2.2 GHZ core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140, Creative X-fi laptop soundcard
      Problem started 2-3 days ago.  Last major program installation was firefox 3.0, problem started 1-2 days after that.

Also, I've been monitoring my CPU usage, it doesn't go up to max when the freezes occur.  I'm only using about 1 gig of RAM.

paudashlake

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »
      Okay thanks for more information but i'm sorry to say.  You may still need to provide more....  What is all of you internet security information?  It is possible that you have a virus running in the background that is hogging resources.  Be sure to update all security you have and do a full scan.

aemrich

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »
        My only virus protection is avast, it's set to automatically update and run in the background.  it's set on normal settings. I'm currently using it to scan my system, I'll post again when its done.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
          • ACB Systems
        « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »
        Hmmm OK so CPU not the main culprit - I am thinking then it's more a GUI deal .... while things go on behind the scenes.

FF3 recent install - not heard of any major probs with that - of this sort but - could be as an experiment take that off and go back to last V2 version.  Might prove a point.

As ever - so many things to consider.  Any increase in connection activity during this freeze period - if you have some sorta bandwidth monitoring.
        Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

win_termute

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 02:32:08 AM »
          lol sorry but that's just Vista......Get XP back on it and watch so many of your problems just disappear

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »
          lol sorry but that's just Vista......Get XP back on it and watch so many of your problems just disappear

If you cannot add anything constructive please refrain from hitting the Post button.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aemrich

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 08:56:37 PM »
            I updated avast and ran a thorough virus scan, a few viruses were removed, and the computer ran well for a little while, but the problem has come up again at the same rate.  I've tried to run a disk error check, I am told that it will be run upon system reboot, but it does not.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I'm going to my hard drive properties->tools->error-checking->check now (seleing both scan options)->check next time windows is started.  When I restart, no check occurs. 

Not sure, but think the problem may be linked to adobe flash, as my computer freezes a lot more when I stream flash videos.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »