Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer turns on by itself  (Read 5403 times)

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

computer turns on by itself
    « on: June 05, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
    I did a search for this problem, saw an idea about checking bios, haven't done it yet.

The computer turns on by itself in the middle of the night. It won't do this during the day. I've got to where I unplug everything when I'm through with the computer for the day. When I plug the power cord in the next day, the computer lites-up, when I turn on the monitor, the screen saver is running.

I had the harddrive fail recently, replaced with harddrive out of another computer. Everything works ok, I didn't have this problem before the harddrive failed. Any ideas? thanks

DonkyCong

Rookie
      Re: computer turns on by itself
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
      Please post your computer specifications.

I'm guessing your are running Windows Vista and here's my thoughts as to why:
      Many people are 'fooled' by the 'power off' symbol at the bottom of the start menu. This is not a power off feature and is instead a stand-by button, to properly shut down you must click the arrow pointing towards the right and click shut down.
      The computer may of gone in to stand-by then when you move your mouse (or plug it in the next day) it comes up to where you left it.

That's only a guess though and will be totally blown to pieces of you run Windows XP for example.  ::)

Regards,
      Sean.
      because "K" is boring...

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
        The computer is an old dell P3, windows XP home edition. When the hardrive failed, I had another computer sitting here with a good harddrive so I swapped the harddrives. Everything seems to work ok, except now, the computer seems to want to turn on by itself, in the middle of the night.

The harddrive that failed had windows XP corporate edition, I believe. The harddrive in there now is windows XP home edition.

BigRed

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
          I had a computer that came on by itself. I kept it unplugged for 2 years while I wasn't using it. Then my modem went bad and when I replaced it, the computer never came on by itself again. So, it could be your modem.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
            • Technology News and Information
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
          It sounds like "Wake on LAN" is enabled on your computer.

Right click "My Computer" (either located in the start menu, or on the desktop). Click Properties
          Click the "Devices" tab, and click the button titled: "Device Manager"

Find (under "Network Adapters") your Ethernet card. It should have the numbers 10/100 or 10/100/1000 next to it.

Doubleclick the network adapter.

Go to the "Power Management" tab. Un-Check "Allow this device to wake the computer"
          Check ""Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Click Ok.

Restart your computer.

See if this resolves the issue.

Possible causes:
          "Wake on LAN' enabled by Windows or in your BIOS
          "Boot up at: ##:##" enabled in BIOS

In the even that this advice does not help, please tell us:

Do you click "Hibernate", "Shutdown", or "Standby" when you click the shutdown button on the start menu?

If you use "Standby" or "Hibernate" it could be allowing your computer to power back up due to the differences in the shutdown procedures that take place. I would recommend just using "Shutdown" if the problem still occurs after trying the advice above.

jdl

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »
            I apologize for not responding sooner. I did look at the (power management) as you suggested. There were three boxes all checked, had to do with, standby option.

I never use  standby, when I'm through, I use the shutdown button.

I haven't checked bios, not sure how? thanks

valahrim

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
              your computer may have a schedule to start up at a certain time, mine used to have the same problem, i messed around in startup command prompt wndom thingy...and found a way to turn it off...im not sure how i did it i dont remember,,perhaps some nice helpful guy( or girl) mite tell u how? :)