Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need DOS flat-database program with data in text file - Freebase, Nuthsell etc  (Read 9776 times)

KB5cmd

Topic Starter

Rookie

Trying to find a DOS flat-database program which saves data as a text file, (as .txt, .csv etc.), I saw this freeware  program cited: FREEBASE.
    Downloadable file:
    fbase180.zip
    but the link was obsolete.
    Does anyone know a working link to download it, or, has it and could give me a copy?
    Alternatively, I believe Nutshell worked like that too. It was not freeware so iI would like to buy it with TOL if someone has it to sell.
    Is there any other such DOS database program which saves data in a text file, be it .txt, ,csv, etc.,  (that can be edited externally)? please give details and how to get it?
    I have an urgent need for full portability of my data due to problems in my own hardware , so this is really important for me right now, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Today's PC history Quiz.

Who was Jim Button?

Foe the answer Click Here.
    And learn about the the moist popular flat file things ever.

KB5cmd

Topic Starter

Rookie

I used to have  PC-File, lost it a long time ago; but as I remember, it saved files in a .DBF format, correct?
      I need a database that saves data natively in TXT format (.txt, .csv) etc., and where the data file can be edited externally, i.e. independently from the database program, like, with DOS edit etc., and when that is done the right way, the database program can still read the updated data file.  That is the kind of truly portable system I need. 
      As I mentioned, I had found only FreeBase and Nutshell listed as able to function that way, and I'm trying to get them or at least one of these   FreeBase was freeware, so I hope someone still has it and could give me a copy. Nutshell was one I did use at work a long time ago, I really liked it and would like to buy it (with TOL). 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Modern programs can read and write files in several formats. You can always convert files from one format to another. The advantage of using a program like PC-File and other flat file managers is that they have there own text editors that are better that the pure DOS text editor.
      Which text editor did you want to use and how can thaht be better tha tthe built-in editor of the File Manager?
      http://www.gurus.org/margy/pc-file.htm
      The Complete Guide to PC-File, Version 5.01

KB5cmd

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the link. Unfortunatley the manual is not available to read online, to see how it saves data. The version for download is 5, but the site does not specify if it is for DOS or for Windows. I would need the DOS version, and my post questions only concerns that version.
        Which is the last PC-File DOS version #?
        What is the native file extension the DOS Pc-File version saves data in?
        Does Pc-File save data in ASCII text format, either as a default or at least as a kind of "save-as" choice?
        As an aside, I'm intrigued by the text editor you mention as part of Pc-File, I don't remember it. I did have PC-Write, a separate program, and I had also bought PC-calc. All lost. (I really liked all three, though I'm only looking for a database program at present).
        Is there a text editor "inside" the PC-File program?
        I know of course about file formats converters, but I want to avoid having to use extra steps or  software.
        I guess it may not be obvious that the most important part of the title of my post is "with data in text file". It's because there was not enough space there to specify more explicitely and say instead, ,  "that natively saves data in ASCII/DOS text format, such as .txt, .csv, etc."
        Again, I'd like to use the DOS Pc-file ver if it does save data in ASCII/DOS text format, either as a default or at least as a kind of "save-as" choice: does it?
        If not, can anyone give me a way to obtain Freebase or Nutshell?   
         Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        The term "freebase" is used for a number of things. So it is hard to locate the shareware program.
        Also, are you looking fo? Perhaps r a program to make a datqabaqse  or a actual database taht has been built up over time by many users.

Assume you want a database maker.

PC-File was a 'shareware' program and was very basic.
        The dbase ][ was a relational database manager that could handle two or more intermingled database files for data entry, sorting and reporting.
        Later PC-File, version 7 I think, began to use the dbf to be able to interface with dbase.

Editing of records is normally done with the manager. Using a text editor was a panic method of repairing a corrupted file.

The was some way to exporting fioles into csv for use by other dbase managers.
        You can directly edit csv files, or edit them inside a program that has the lables and other stuff taht helps you to understand what the fields are.

Version 5 of PC-File is available as a download from a site.  If you read the entire link I gave yuou will find it. They are a set of files, you need them all.

That's the best I can do for you.

KB5cmd

Topic Starter

Rookie

>>> Assume you want a database maker.

yes, here it is, quoted from my initial post:
          program cited: FREEBASE.
          Downloadable file:
          fbase180.zip

The only download link I found, was obsolete

>>> [PC-File] If you read the entire link I gave you

Thanks - with the details you just posted on PC-File, I think it would fit some of my purpose, if I can't get FreeBase or Nutshell.
          I downloaded Pc-File to HDD but when trying to install, after listing the correct drive letters and pressing [enter], it never loaded disk 2, just hung there.
          Do you know how this could be installed if you don't have diskettes and a floppy drive?  I already wrote to the support email address listed, but so far, have not gotten a reply.
          I you can't help me install the 3 .zip files I downloaded, I hope someone else will, and especially, I hope someone will follow up on my request to obtain FreeBase and/or Nutshell.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          The only old-dos database programs I know are dbase, PC-File, Framework and some other thing I bought and forgot.

Sorry I can not be of more help.
          These "free" programs are no longer supported.

Here is a review of the PC-File program links and relevant info.

Summary
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-File
          Documentation
          http://www.gurus.org/margy/pc-file.htm
          Archives
          http://www.umich.edu/~archive/msdos/database/pcfile/
          read.me
          (see attachment below.)

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

canggu

If your still looking for PCfile I can help you out and it will export to formats like you require.

Send me an email to; [email protected]

Cheers,