Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turned on computer and received a "password key" message  (Read 3692 times)

helmbold

Topic Starter

Starter

Turned on computer and received a "password key" message
    « on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »
    I have a compaq machine, with Windows 2000 Professional, and the last thing I did was install a trend micro anti virus program.  This morning, I turned the computer on and I got a rectangular box that said "password key" with a little picture of a key on it, and down below to the right it says F10. 

So I restarted the computer, held down the F10 key figuring I could try to get to BIOS (not that I really know what I'm doing), but it still came up with this message.  It wouldn't let me do anything.

This computer doesn't have a password on it.  I've never installed one, so why is it coming up with this message now?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Turned on computer and received a "password key" message
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
    What happens, when you press Enter at that screen?

diablo416

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
      If Its the bios password, and enter doesnt work.. open the machine , try not to touch anything else.. remove the circular battery from the motherboard, start the machine let it run.. the password should be removed, then shut it down and put the battery back in.

if the password comes back when you replace the battery, remove it again.. and go into bios and find the master reset, or set everything back to defaults.. (remove the password)

joefido

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »
        None of the issues described seem to have anything to do with BIOS. Also if you aren't sure what you're doing, I wouldn't open up your computer and start poking around. It's very easy to fry components with a little static electricity and then you'll really have problems. FYI, if you ever do stick your hands into the computer, be sure that you un-plug it first!! If you still need to access BIOS try repeatedly pushing the key while it's booting. You might want to also try F1, F2 and the DEL key if F10 dosen't work. I would instead try ..when you boot repeatedly pushing the F8 key to see if you can Boot in to the Advanced start up screen. If so try Last good Config.. If that doesn't work and you can get back to the Advanced Start Up screen ..Select Start in Safe Mode, then go to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs and remove Trend Micro, re-boot and see what happens. Good Luck!

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:23:18 AM »
        Another "how I get around the password?" question. Personally, I wonder if there is some stuff the OP is not telling us. It wouldn't be a laptop, by any chance? In any case, a password demand right at power on has got to be for a BIOS password, and they don't get changed or set by anti-virus programs.

Helmbold, I am afraid you have been told some nonsense. Realistically, your only option is going to be to contact Compaq, and show some proof of ownership.

Password bypass questions do NOT get help on here.

helmbold

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
          Computer is not a laptop - thanks for everyone's suggestions though!  I will try what I can.  Seems bizarre that this all happened after downloading trend micro, and it may just be a fluky coincidence.  I'll try all the things suggested and see what happens, and if that doesn't work, well, it's back to square one!

Thanks again!

helmbold

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
            P.S.  To answer the other question about what happens if you press enter - all it does is keep scrolling down with the request for the password key... and you can't get out of the screen by doing anything that I've found, other than shutting it off and starting again.

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
            ... and it's right after power on? Before the BIOS screen, memory test, etc?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »
            Who else has access to this machine ? ?
            As Diaz stated no programs will create this condition...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "