Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Would you use the ComputerHope Live Social Chat if it existed?

Yes, definately.
20 (60.6%)
Maybe (or neutral).
10 (30.3%)
Absolutely not.
3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: A CH Social Chatroom  (Read 67480 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: A CH Social Chatroom
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
Prototype 0.1:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,63991.0.html

Please comment on the new topic with any issues you see (besides the incredible ugliness of the plain pages) and errors you may have.

Glitch

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
Don't know if this has been brought up...but guests shouldn't be allowed in chat.

Nothing but a headache.

They're looking for help when others are trying to have a conversation...and the irc is not setup for that.

It's a ball of confusion.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
Don't know if this has been brought up...but guests shouldn't be allowed in chat.

Nothing but a headache.

They're looking for help when others are trying to have a conversation...and the irc is not setup for that.

It's a ball of confusion.
Right now, #computerhope is also a support channel....
I think the support channel should be separate so I can actively ignore it...  (I can operate support chat, but have always disliked it to a certain point)

Glitch

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »
Problem with Support Chat is that, unless there are individual rooms for each user requesting assistance, it's just going to be that "ball of confusion" I was referring to.

Live Support Chat is always great to have, but unless you have the members to monitor it, or the individual rooms I was referring to, then it's just going to get in the way of the social chats...or just confuse the users who are looking for live support.

That's why I'm using FlashChat.  Admins/Moderators have the ability to create these private rooms..and providing live support is easy in that respect.  You'll always want to keep support and social chat separate.

I'm not sure if CH Social chat was meant for this, though.  I'm also not sure if this current chat has the ability to have one-on-one conversations between members.

Care to enlighten me?

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »
You can create private rooms, just type:
/join #somerandomroomhere to create a new channel.

I would like to see support and social chat as two separate things. My idea in the first place was just for social chat...
I really dont like operating support chat, which is moreover a personal opinion, working one on one with a person with a PEBCAK error, sometimes even a ID 10 T error, is just a bit frustrating at times.

Still, I will help occasionally.

I will seldom help in chat if no one is there to cover for me if I might have to immediately leave due to whatever events happen on my end. There is such a variety of issues, and my knowledge isnt as broad as it needs to be to help everyone.

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »
guys I just Rebooted after a virus scan and whenever I log in it comes to a blank room and no ones connected.

EDIT: Ill try reinstalling flash

K help I dont know what I did

It was a Malware bytes scan.

Emiel

Intermediate

• Los Illuminados = a bunch of *ssholes!
    « Reply #81 on: September 16, 2008, 01:18:14 AM »
    I would definitely use it. I'd like to have a chat with the people who are keeping this forum alive, healthy and kick-*ss sometime!

Emiel
    Date Registered:  November 28, 2007, 3:14:43 PM (07:14:43 AM in Utah)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #82 on: September 16, 2008, 05:53:30 AM »
    Thought that I'd also make this post in this thread since it was brought up in the TO-DO list thread.

My original intention of the chat was also meant as a place for people to not only talk about computers but ask about them and learn more. At this time I'd prefer to leave the chat the way it is and not confine it to the status as a "social chat". Also because there isn't dozens of people in the chat I'd also prefer that there be only one room. No point in having multiple empty rooms. :)

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein