Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse USB->PS2 functionality loss  (Read 3805 times)

Ival

Mouse USB->PS2 functionality loss
« on: March 05, 2005, 02:59:36 AM »
I recently acquired a second computer, however I have only the one monitor, and so have purchased also a small device that allows me to switch between wich computer is displayed upon the monitor with just a few keystrokes.

The device allows the use of the same keyboard and mouse for the operation of both machines as well, however it only supports ps2 devices.

This is not a problem as far as the keyboard, but my mouse on the other hand is USB. I do have an old 2 button ball style mouse I can use, but I would prefer to have the use of my 5 button optical mouse with scroll wheel (who wouldn't).

I do have an adaptor that allows me to use the USB mouse in a PS2 port, but it of course limits the functionality quite a lot (scroll wheel/button and other two buttons no longer function)

Can anyone suggest a way to get around this problem?
Are there similar mouses (mice?) available for use in a PS2 port that would retain full functionality with my setup?

Or should I just buckle down and prepare myself for a future of constant unplugging and relocating my USB mouse from machine to machine when from one to the other?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Mouse USB->PS2 functionality loss
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:00:05 AM »
Can you just buy a new mouse that works with the other PC? (for the new one)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 08:41:27 AM »
...I do have an adaptor that allows me to use the USB mouse in a PS2 port, but it of course limits the functionality quite a lot (scroll wheel/button and other two buttons no longer function)...

I've only seen that happen on a laptop.  You should get full functioning on a desktop with or without adapter.

Ival

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 04:06:45 AM »
I could buy a new mouse, but then I am still stuck in the current situation of  2 mice and not enough desk space for both

And I don't really know what to say about the laptop comment, other than this is not a laptop, and I am suffering the problem described above.