Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apparently I'm an Idiot.....My Computer is Not Starting  (Read 2612 times)

Shad1983

Apparently I'm an Idiot.....My Computer is Not Starting
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »
Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm am all but completely clueless when it comes to IT type questions.

Friday afternoon I went to get on my home computer and found what I believed to be some sort of spyware infecting my computer under the guise of a windows anti-virus program (of course after it runs itself it automatically takes you to place to buy more software). 

Since my actual anti-virus and spyware software was seriously outdated I picked up Norton AntiVirus 2008 the next morning.  When I tried to install it I was prompted to download Windows XP service pack 2 in order to install the software.

While downloading service pack 2 it errored repeatedly before I finally cancelled the download in frustration.

Later that afternoon I came back to try it again and when I turned on the computer I went from the Intell screen to the Windows XP load screen before finally stopping on the black screen with the prompts for "start in safe mode, start in safe mode with prompts, start with last known good settings, etc".

No matter what choice I make the computer just cycles back through the Intel, Windows Load and the command screens endlessly.

Now I would just reformat the whole thing but my brother's wedding pictures are on there (my wife and I were his wedding photographer) and I'd like to avoid losing them since I wasn't finished working on them and they haven't been given their copies.

I have multiple hard drives on the computer is it possible to juggle them around to make an unafflicted drive the main drive and install XP on it in order to at least get to those pictures before I have to reformat the infected drive?

Like I said I'm pretty much as clueless as a man can get when it comes to these things and I figured I'd give this place a try before I spend hours on hold with MS tech support.

AndyCountry

Rookie

Re: Apparently I'm an Idiot.....My Computer is Not Starting
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »
    Don’t be so hard on yourself Shad1983. Welcome to Computer Hope.

As you can see by my number of posts here, I'm not an expert. Far from it. However, I have some knowledge that may be of help.

I've gone through what you have and here's what I've learned. Actually, I stumbled upon this one last week, I hope it works in XP for you. Here goes:

What I did was to take my Win2k CD and boot from it into the "repair Windows" mode (I'm using a MSFT factory disc, not a DELL/HP/GATEWAY 'image' disc that comes with every machine out of the box).

I followed the on screen inst's to the point where I am asked what location do I want to install Win2k to? I typed in, "C:\WINNTALT" (the normal location is “C:\WINNT”).. This installed a clean basic version of Windows on my active partition, without disturbing any other files or folders, so as to be able to boot again. Note: I did NOT install over top of anything. I installed a 2nd windows folder - hope this makes sense.

I had the keys to the kingdom back.

Now I boot up and a black screen simply asks me which installation of 2000 I wish to load. I select the 1st/top "Windows 2000" that is listed. You should see XP of course.

Next, log on as Admin (you will see 2 Administrator accounts - use the one who's name is longer the just "Adminstrator").

You will want to dload: AVG free from grisoft.com (you have to dig on grisoft's site to get to the free version, so Googling may be faster), and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Scan your pix and any other files you wish to save with AVG/Spybot and then move them to an external drive of some sort.

I assume you want wipe your infected drive and reinstall XP, so run Killdisk from a floppy to zero-fill the HDD and then reinstall Windows and re-import files from your external drive and dload what else you need to get back to where you want to be.

There is still a ton of info you need on computer security, to keep from having a repeat of this again in the future.

Good luck!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
    As you can see by my number of posts here, I'm not an expert. Far from it.

Your post count has nothing to do with how knowledgable you are. Once you keep giving information like you did just there, there is nothing to complain about.

AndyCountry

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
      kpac, thanks for the kind words.