Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: For those of you with negative feelings about Vista.....  (Read 13856 times)

iamtonsoffun247

Topic Starter

Apprentice

For those of you with negative feelings about Vista.....
    « on: August 26, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
    www.mojaveexperiment.com

I hear too many people complaining about vista before they try it.... so TRY before you decide you dont like something.  I know this is directly through windows, but hey, Im sure the reactions are real. 

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: For those of you with negative feelings about Vista.....
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
    www.mojaveexperiment.com

That link displays a page for me that says, "This website has been updated to run on the very latest version of the Microsoft® Silverlight™ (Beta 2) plug-in. Please re-install."

I already have Silverlight installed; I'm not going to install that Beta 2 version.  Why did you post that link?  How does it relate to your topic here?

iamtonsoffun247

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
      o really? my bad it was workin today for me.  It basically shows people who have never used vista, but say how much they "hate it".  Then they are introduced to "mojave", which is a fake name for vista, to see what people thought of it.  They end up lovin it, and are surprised it is Vista.  Its better if watched, but that sucks that you cant watch it w/o DLing the beta.  O wait you can watch it w/o the beta, just click the "here" link and watch it that way.  Its pretty funny  ;D

Twylla

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »
        I really like my Vista... well that was until a week ago until it started to get a bit of an attitude  ::)

But seriously I really like it.   I would definately go that way again with my computer.

Twylla ;D

kizza1645

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:56:27 AM »
        That link doesnt look too say. Sort of sounds like a trap.

GX44

Hopeful
        • Never Stood A Chance!
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:09:52 AM »
        I don't like Vista. I have tried it, I have persisted in trying to make it my primary OS, but I just... don't like it. At all.

Graphically it looks amazing, but apart from that I just prefer XP.

"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
        Most people who dont want Vista havent actually tried it.

Actually, and I can not stress this point enough, most people who complain about Vista now also complained about XP when it was first released. I didnt like XP for a long time.

I use Vista on my laptop, and have seldom had problems that I would not have in XP with it.
        Heck, Vista repaired itself one day after an improper shutdown, that was interesting.

kizza1645

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:19:40 AM »
        Most people who dont want Vista havent actually tried it.

Actually, and I can not stress this point enough, most people who complain about Vista now also complained about XP when it was first released. I didnt like XP for a long time.

I use Vista on my laptop, and have seldom had problems that I would not have in XP with it.
        Heck, Vista repaired itself one day after an improper shutdown, that was interesting.

Touche, but the difference is vista in impractical for professional users. Thats what people are complaining about. Its not compatible with hundreds of programs and appilcations. I dont think that in 3years people will be forthright with vista as with xp.

Its just a totally different os.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:30:16 AM »
        Same with 98 compared to XP? Or even 2000 for that matter.

I am what you might call a professional computer user. I have found very few applications that didnt work with Vista. QBASIC programs still work with Vista, which, to me, thats all the support any program needs right there.

Usually when a program wont work beyond a certain OS, its because the programmer built it for a specific operating system, not other operating systems.

Believe it or not, Vista is actually a faster OS. The new architecture introduced in Vista is far superior to XP, and the data caching technologies (via Memory, not the hard drive, which explains why many systems are suspended at 50% RAM) increase the speed even more.

kizza1645

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:35:46 AM »
        Yes thats true, but you cant beat XP's reliability if your a professional user. Don't get me wrong i was the one who bought the first copy of vista sold practically. I enjoy using it for its interface qualitys.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »
        Oh.....The Mojave Experiment........

Personally, I don't care for the fancy graphics. In fact, I prefer the old Windows Classic theme than anything else.
        Much faster and clearer (for me)

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
          « Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 03:53:58 AM »
          If i may express my opinion; I don't believe this is a question of..' you're either with us or against us'.

at the moment i've got three working laptops:

The on i'm on at the moment has vista, great for casual use - easy on the eyes - plays most games i can think of - the usual good points, plus it's never died more that i can handle so i've not really had any bad experiences with it.

One laptop has XP, that's also not died more than i couldn't handle - but i use it for more practical things finances, spreadsheets, databases. to me it just feels more like a work computer than a home PC like vista does.

and the third one has Mandriva Linux - For a couple of reasons, not least for the specs:
          1.2Ghz single core CPU
          No HDD
          512 RAM
          no mouse
          and more than it's fair share of knocks, bumps, drops etc.

If you could get vista, or any other windows OS, to run on that i'd eat my own face. But i use this one for programming, mainly C++. To me it just feels more like a programmers OS.

FB
          Next time google it.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »
          The Mohave Experiment seems a little silly.  It's only capturing people's initial reaction to a very limited exposure to Vista.  Also, I viewed some of the clips and none of the subjects seemed to be what I'd call expert Windows users. 

Touche, but the difference is vista in impractical for professional users. 
          Hmm, you mean to say that, with five versions to choose from, none of them are practical for "professional users"?  That seems like nonsense.

Thats what people are complaining about. Its not compatible with hundreds of programs and appilcations.
          I don't know but I'm skeptical that it's still not compatible with hundreds of programs and appilcations.  By now, haven't most major software developers released versions of their programs that run with Vista?

GX44

Hopeful
          • Never Stood A Chance!
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

iamtonsoffun247

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »
            The Mohave Experiment seems a little silly.  It's only capturing people's initial reaction to a very limited exposure to Vista.  Also, I viewed some of the clips and none of the subjects seemed to be what I'd call expert Windows users.

Well most people that I hear complain about Vista are Novice users.  People that do know more about Vista and how it works may not like it that much at all, but there are defenitely more people like in the video in the world than expert users(unfortunately  :P)