Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows automatic updates will not install  (Read 41149 times)

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows automatic updates will not install
    « Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
    I've never had any problems before.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
    I've never had any problems before.

It seems these issues are now self-inflicted...that or MS has gotten quite sophisticated.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »
      XP Home is the one that is loaded on to three different computers, my version of Pro has only been installed on one computer.

3master

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
      Hello. I had the same thing happen to me.  I have been sitting here for a week trying to figure it out.

I just found this article.  I am off to work and repair will begin as  soon as I get back.

Thank you for your help........3master

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »
        Windows Update Failure

This is a not uncommon problem, particularly after either a major hardware upgrade or a Windows reinstall. There are 3 probable causes for the problem:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.

2. Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.

3. Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

Here’s how to fix them:

1. Clean up Windows Update temporary folder

1.1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

1.2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

1.3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold. You will loose your history but not important.
        1.4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

2. Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

2.1. Download the file from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2.2. Save the file to C: drive Root (C:)

2.3. Click Start, Run, type: "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine. (There is a space between "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce")
        Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

3. Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 (important)

3.1. Press Start and choose Run.

3.2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.

3.3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
        MSIexec /unregister (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

3.4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
        MSIexec /regserver (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

4. Now, try running updates again. If they still fail, then you’ll need to do a reinstall of Windows Installer:

4.1. Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed.

4.2. If it has, highlight and remove it.

4.3. After that, reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

This should fix the problem

Try all of the above, for me it was reinstalling Windows Installer 3.1. When you try the deferent choices close all windows before doing the other ones. That was my problem the first time and if it doesn’t fix it then look at Microsoft’s support site. It should be a free email dealing with Windows Update problems. When I emailed them they gave to other options but they were for research purpose and they were for my email address and topic number.

longfatyoung44

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »
        Windows Update Failure

This is a not uncommon problem, particularly after either a major hardware upgrade or a Windows reinstall. There are 3 probable causes for the problem:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.

2. Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.

3. Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

Here’s how to fix them:

1. Clean up Windows Update temporary folder

1.1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

1.2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

1.3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold. You will loose your history but not important.
        1.4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

2. Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

2.1. Download the file from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2.2. Save the file to C: drive Root (C:)

2.3. Click Start, Run, type: "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine. (There is a space between "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce")
        Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

3. Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 (important)

3.1. Press Start and choose Run.

3.2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.

3.3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
        MSIexec /unregister (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

3.4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
        MSIexec /regserver (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

4. Now, try running updates again. If they still fail, then you’ll need to do a reinstall of Windows Installer:

4.1. Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed.

4.2. If it has, highlight and remove it.

4.3. After that, reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

This should fix the problem
        Thank you!!!! This worked for me I was having the same problem!

Alan Bod

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
        Toms method worked very well on my PC but as the posting was a few months old please be aware you might need to download a windows installer for Update pack 3 of XP as this refers to update pack 2

Chir6

Rookie
          • Yes
          • RepairStar
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
        How it going with this one?  I assume your knowledgeable. If it's still not fixed, Perhaps their is something goofed in the auto update configuration.  I stumbled upon this utility, Dial-a-fix when I was looking to help you.  Dial-a-fix is a collection of known fixes gleaned from Microsoft Knowledgebase articles, Microsoft MVPs, and other important support forums, that will assist you in repairing problems with your system. Although this tool is ordinarily meant for power users, technicians, and administrators, it is quite safe to use even without technical guidance (although it is recommended). Simply choose the solutions you wish to apply via checkmarks, and click GO. There are other buttons and tools present on the main dialog as well, such as the policy scanner. All tools and checkmarks identify their purpose when you mouse over them.  I can't guarentee anything but I would try this for your problem and see if you can get anywhere. 

Admin edit: I don't mind the mention of OneCare, however please do not link to affiliate programs.
        « Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:26:52 PM by Computer Hope Admin »

hiloed

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
          You might try this.
          Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
          regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
          regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
          regsvr32 wucltui.dll
          regsvr32 wups.dll
          regsvr32 wups2.dll
          regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Also try the Windows Installer link for Non-Vista machines from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346