Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: US lawsuit calls Large Hadron Collider a Doomsday Machine  (Read 24467 times)

typhoeus

Hopeful

• Genus computerus gamerus/member of OCHWelC
    Re: US lawsuit calls Large Hadron Collider a Doomsday Machine
    « Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
    I was on the bandwagon for a while, but was fortunate to hear debate from both sides.  I still think we should curb our emissions where we reasonably can do so.  Gore's no saint, but he's help raise awareness.  We shouldn't go on acting like pollution is no big deal.

Pollution is a big deal, but I don't think global warming is.  Perhaps Gore has helped; even the smallest microorganisms contribute to the big picture.  I'm glad you listened to both sides Aegis, and jumped off the Bandwagon.  The most important thing to remember when forming an opinion is that the majority is not always right.  And curbing emissions when possible is an great idea, its just not that contributory to global warming.   ;)
    If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules.

We worship Jeff, the god of biscuits.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »
    Take a look at Gore's house and then tell me he's not a hypocrite...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »
      My point exactly.  Hypocrites are a pet peeve of mine.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
      Agreed.  I want to knock on doors and ask these people why their opulent homes aren't shingled with solar panel shingles from which they could power the whole house most of the time -- heck, people with them sell their excess power back to the grid!

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »
        Agreed.  I want to knock on doors and ask these people why their opulent homes aren't shingled with solar panel shingles from which they could power the whole house most of the time -- heck, people with them sell their excess power back to the grid!

Good one.  If we had been researching solar panels from the time they were first brought up, in the 70's, average people might be able to afford them by now.  Instead we're still stuck with fossil fuels, whose price is going up daily.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

Good one.  If we had been researching solar panels from the time they were first brought up, in the 70's, average people might be able to afford them by now.  Instead we're still stuck with fossil fuels, whose price is going up daily.

and yet their price is almost 80% tax... I've never quite understood that. Why so many taxes?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »
          Because of all the debt.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »
          Because of all the debt.

what do you mean? debt to whom?

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 09:39:54 PM »
            I was referring to the USA, and our enormous debt to various countries.

Typhoeus out.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

Typhoeus out.

ok, other countries have debt to, Canada of course being no exception. But why are the taxes only applied to gasoline?  WOuldn't it be more democratic to raise the GST instead?

typhoeus

Hopeful

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 12:06:03 PM »

Typhoeus out.

ok, other countries have debt to, Canada of course being no exception. But why are the taxes only applied to gasoline?  WOuldn't it be more democratic to raise the GST instead?

Democracy has nothing to do with it.  Stupidity has everything to do with it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:35 PM »
              Stupidity has everything to do with it.

80%, actually.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
              That may be true, T, but we should do what we can.  We've been pumping hydrocarbons into the atmosphere since Britain industrialized in the late 1800's.  We should err on the side of caution.

That's a little over two hundred years, that's a split second to the earth. We are just like a bad case of flea's on the earth, when the time comes, things will circle around and the earth will shake us off. Its a simple matter of time, that's all. If you think I'm driving a Prius because people want to blame themselves for earths climate change, your nuts. I couldn't FIT in a Prius sized vehicle if my life depended on it. I'm more of the type to drive a full sized car from the 80's than a Prius.

The whole fuel efficiency thing is a crock. My father drives a 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser with a 307 big block Oldsmobile V8. The engine came stock in the car, he's removed the emissions and removed almost everything tied in with them except the distributor and carburetor. He still has to find the parts to replace them to the 1980 model with no computer/emissions. Anyway, the point of this is, the wagon weighs roughly 4,600lbs with him in it, and all his tools and such, yet it gets almost 20MPG in town, and about 22, or 24MPG on the highway. Not bad considering the vehicle, the point being, global warming is a marketing scheme.

Emission controls where one of the many marketing schemes that rolled cars up into the confusing mess of plastic electronic crap they are now. Where if they break, your screwed unless you invest a good chunk of what you paid for the car to have it fixed. Its about making crap cheaper and calling it "Eco-Friendly" then selling it for way more than its worth. Whats with all these 40MPG vehicles that a couple years ago got half that? Explain that, I already can, its marketing, everybody that's rich gets richer, everybody that gets poor gets poorer, and they don't care. What do you think the the Hadron Collider is for? To the scientists, its about finding out what Mass is, but I'm sure someone funding them is looking to eventually find a way to become richer. Think about it, the ability to create things from nothing, think if you controlled that. Just think about it, sounds crazy, but its highly plausible.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »
              That may be true, T, but we should do what we can.  We've been pumping hydrocarbons into the atmosphere since Britain industrialized in the late 1800's.  We should err on the side of caution.

That's a little over two hundred years, that's a split second to the earth. We are just like a bad case of flea's on the earth, when the time comes, things will circle around and the earth will shake us off. Its a simple matter of time, that's all. If you think I'm driving a Prius because people want to blame themselves for earths climate change, your nuts. I couldn't FIT in a Prius sized vehicle if my life depended on it. I'm more of the type to drive a full sized car from the 80's than a Prius.

The whole fuel efficiency thing is a crock. My father drives a 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser with a 307 big block Oldsmobile V8. The engine came stock in the car, he's removed the emissions and removed almost everything tied in with them except the distributor and carburetor. He still has to find the parts to replace them to the 1980 model with no computer/emissions. Anyway, the point of this is, the wagon weighs roughly 4,600lbs with him in it, and all his tools and such, yet it gets almost 20MPG in town, and about 22, or 24MPG on the highway. Not bad considering the vehicle, the point being, global warming is a marketing scheme.

Emission controls where one of the many marketing schemes that rolled cars up into the confusing mess of plastic electronic crap they are now. Where if they break, your screwed unless you invest a good chunk of what you paid for the car to have it fixed. Its about making crap cheaper and calling it "Eco-Friendly" then selling it for way more than its worth. Whats with all these 40MPG vehicles that a couple years ago got half that? Explain that, I already can, its marketing, everybody that's rich gets richer, everybody that gets poor gets poorer, and they don't care. What do you think the the Hadron Collider is for? To the scientists, its about finding out what Mass is, but I'm sure someone funding them is looking to eventually find a way to become richer. Think about it, the ability to create things from nothing, think if you controlled that. Just think about it, sounds crazy, but its highly plausible.

And drinking diet soda makes you go crazy later in life.

the MPG thing may be a crock, but we'll run out of oil eventually (unless they find a way to create it- hey, they did with diamonds...). THe number of miles per gallon a vehicle can get is irrelevant when there is no gasoline to fuel it.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
              THe number of miles per gallon a vehicle can get is irrelevant when there is no gasoline to fuel it.

That's my point ENTIRELY, its all irrelevant in the end, they don't want consumers to see that. Its a mass media market, you see what they want you to see unless your actually looking. Call me crazy if you want, but the way I see it, every bit of the modern society in America is designed to only a few things, those things are to subliminally control the people by slowly chopping away our rights. Same way they did in Europe, hence the EU, same way they'll do here, creating the NAU, North American Union. Of which, you can find little about, but its already in play.

To put it bluntly, its all just a blind stupid power struggle to decide who owns you, doesn't matter where you live, someone owns you. In the end, nothing matters, live your life to suit you and disregard those to blind to see the system the way it is. That's my way of living, call me crazy if you want, but I doubt I'll stay on the grid all my life just because of the crap that's snowballing up in the present. Point being is like I said, if you are a part of the system, your owned, your branded cattle, one of just a many in a herd. They don't care about us as individuals, they care about us as a whole group the same way a farmer cares about his flock as a whole group. They don't care about loosing one or a few, just loosing a whole lot that might affect there well being, without us, they can't be rich no more, and they can't go off doing senseless science projects like with the Hadron Collider.

Humans ask to much of there environment, always breaking down and analyzing, but most of us don't stop and look at whats around us, stop to think how easily all this could end. All it would take is a couple idiots doing a couple stupid things to end the way of life that we so blindly submit to. Sure, go ahead, I know most of the ones here my age are all hoping to go for the American Dream, a house, possibly kids, couple new cars, and maybe a cute puppy. The thing about the American Dream is, you have to be asleep to believe it, and most people are dreaming away.

I see things the way they are, simple, to the point. People are ignorant, and too self absorbed in most cases, which is why the whole world is the mess it is. Its human nature, something much like the planets cycles that cannot be changed easily. But that doesn't mean it can't be changed, look at society, its slowly getting tamer, the line between part of society and a threat to society is becoming a very sharp edge. And that's the way the people that own you want it, they want you to be a part of the crowd, part of the blind society, one of many who think as a blind whole body never seeing outside there lives. Instead of one that see's himself as one of many, one who is an individual, one who thinks for himself and one who acts on his own. One who isn't part of the crowd because he thinks outside of the box so to speak, one who will not abide by there standards and rules, and one who will not simply sit when told.

Take what you want out of this, my point is, people do as there told, as they are conditioned and trained to do. They obey, they sit when told, and they don't realize it. How does this relate to the Hadron Collider? That's simple, its all human nature. To explore, to question, to break things down to there simplest form, but most of all, to control the environment around them.