Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding/Changing to a New Wireless Adapter  (Read 5277 times)

Tatterdemalion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Adding/Changing to a New Wireless Adapter
    « on: August 31, 2008, 05:34:25 AM »
    I currently have a Netgear MA401 wireless adapter installed on my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. For several years I have been using it to link to a wireless transmitter on my desktop PC so that I could access the internet via the stationary machine and its USB one-port ADSL modem.

This week, I have received a D-Link DSL 2640-B Wireless G Modem Router from my ISP and I would like to use it wirelessly with my laptop.

I have a new BT 1055 USB adapter that promises better compatability and security than the elderly Netgear card.

Will I need to uninstall the Netgear card before I add the BT hardware ?

Will I also need to erase information from the laptop about the former Ad-hoc network?

In the portable computer's "Network Connections" there is a section called "Network Bridge" which includes an icon for a "Network Bridge Enabled MAC Bridge Miniport".

I don't really know what this is, whether or not I should remove it and how I should go
    about that deletion if it is a necessary action.

Any tips would be hugely helpful.....

Soviet_Genius

Re: Adding/Changing to a New Wireless Adapter
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
    You should delete the ad-hoc network from control panel>network connections and any software/drivers from the netgear card, then install and set up the new hardware, but I think that it won't do any harm if you still have the old card installed when you set up the new one.

Tatterdemalion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:40:29 AM »
      Hi

Thanks for replying.

I am confused about what "Network Bridge" is.

When I go to my "Network Connections" via the Control Panel the *only* section I have is "Network Bridge".

It has four icons. The full details are as follows -->

Local Area Connection
      Connected, Bridged, Firewalled
      Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network

1394 Connection

Connected, Bridged, Firewalled
      1394 Net Adapter

Network Bridge
      Connected, Firewalled
      MAC Bridge Miniport

Wireless Network Connection

Not Connected, Firewalled

I am currently connected to the internet with an ethernet cable running straight to my router from the jack on my laptop. I assume this relates to the "1394 Net Adapter".

I don't understand why the Adapter appears under a "Network Bridge" heading when I would expect it to be categorised  as "LAN or High-Speed Internet".

Is the "bridge" likely to be a remnant from when I was using the Ad-Hoc connection that I no longer require ?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:32:09 AM by Tatterdemalion »

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
      The 1394 connection is firewire, leave that alone. "Local area connection" should be the ethernet connection. I don't know why everything is under "network bridge". Did you set up the new card yet? If not, set it up and report back with what shows up under network connections.

Tatterdemalion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:39:47 AM »
        Hi

I moved my Network items away from the "Network Bridge" and they are now logically labelled by type.

I had been trying to get the old Netgear MA401 card to work with WPA by following some flashing instructions posted at wifi-forum.com.

Eventually, I gave up with that and installed the BT product.....without having to uninstall the (modified ?) Netgear. I just "disabled" it before running the drivers for its replacement.

That replacement is *absolutely brilliant*
        . I can get a strong signal from the bottom of the garden (YAY !!!!) and the freedom and efficiency I am now experiencing is amazing compared to the shabby system I had before when I was using a (very, VERY noisy) Desktop PC as an internet gateway with a USB-cable daisy-chaining a wireless transmitter so that it could send its 6 metre range signal and get me to the dining room table !
        I really didn't know what I was missing.

The Router lets me swap quickly between wired and non-wired connections (whicj I had imagined would be a pain. It isn't and I no longer have to "Dial Up" to access my ADSL. Great stuff !

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
        Nice  :D