Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fried Modem  (Read 2255 times)

bayflyer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Fried Modem
    « on: August 31, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »
    Can an external modem be used as a replacement for a fried internal modem?  Is it a simple as disabling the internal modem, then plugging in the new usb 56k modem then installing the software if necassary?  This all stems from a bad electrical storm, after which I cannot connect to the internet.  The dell inspiron 1100 with windows xp pro tells me there is no dial tone when I try to connect.  I have hooked a telephone to the jack and it works fine, I also have tried a new phone cord from the wall jack the computer (which is a laptop by the way) but that does not work either.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

joe

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Fried Modem
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
    Can an external modem be used as a replacement for a fried internal modem?  Is it a simple as disabling the internal modem, then plugging in the new usb 56k modem then installing the software if necassary?
    Yes.

bayflyer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »
      Thank you Broni

joe

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
      :)
      You can actually install internal modem, as well. It doesn't have to be external.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »
      I'd recommend the external USB modem from my limited personal experience.  I used one for a couple of years after a string of internal modems, and it was the best I'd used.

Broni, as always, is correct -- you may certainly install a new internal modem if you so choose.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

bayflyer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:46 AM »
        The "fried" internal modem was slow so I thought I would try the external and maybe get a minor boost in speed performance.   It is a phone line so I can't expect to much better I guess.  Circuit city has a trendnet unit that looks like a flash drive. It has very good user ratings/feedback so I will try it.  Again, thanks

joe

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »
        Yeah...with dial-up, there is not much to tweak..

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
        The advantage to an external is you can easily re-set it for when your dialup signal drops... ;)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
          badflyer, While i have had providence dispence it's wonders on me fairly recently and am now happy as the proverbial "clam' on dsl--it is not that Long ago that i was dealing with 56k modems.Therefore it may be what you are meaning when you say "disable" but just in case. If the software for the dead modem is still installed it would be best to remove it from add/remove programs or your computer may try to default to it. From others i have heard that all other things being equal one may sometimes see a transfer rate improvement from an external over an internal.If you haven't purchased it yet i highly recommend the U.S. Robotics (internal or external) I don't have any connection with them financial or otherwise.goodluck,truenorth