Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Card reader  (Read 6634 times)

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
    Card reader
    « on: September 05, 2008, 07:27:32 AM »
    MacBook pro, Leopard, my Duel Adapter card reader was working before and now it stopped working, can't read my P2 card. The icon comes to the top (but not to the desktop - meaning, it "sees" something, but doesn't recognize it). When I click it, nothing happens. I went to the Apple forum, other people are having issues with different card readers as well - and no response from Apple since June 18. Short of a complete reinstall, what can I try? Thanks.
    ASlater

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Card reader
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 07:27:42 AM »
    The solution probably isn't a complete reinstall anyway, so don't worry about that.

Here's what I'd try first:

Go to your applications folder, and click on the "utilities" folder.  Then open up "Disk Utility."

On the left hand side of disk utility you should see your card.  If you see it and it's grayed out, click on it and then click on "mount" at the top of the screen.  That should force it to mount (if there aren't other problems).

If that doesn't work, I'd try hooking the card reader up to another computer (pc or mac) just to see if it works on that computer.  If it does, we know that the issue is either with your computer's hardware (unlikely) or software (possibly a preference file).

Another way you can test to see if your computer is even recognizing the device as attached is if you click on the apple logo in the top left and go to "about this mac."  Then click on "more info."  This will open "system profiler."  Click on "Usb" and check to see if it notices any devices hooked up to your usb ports.  If so, it could be a file system error on the card itself (perhaps it was unproperly dismounted, power surge, etc.)

Let me know what you find out and I can try to help from there.

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »
      Hi, Socrates!

I'm afraid the problem was BTCATK.    :-X

I downloaded the P2 software again, and it worked. The Panasonic site wasn't user friendly, it has several different downloads for the P2 cards, I think I downloaded the wrong one last time. Oh, well. Lots of wasted time and I burned a good many of my goodwill neurons, but all's well that ends well. Now if I just could get the AVID to work on this thing... That one I know the solution, won't bother you guys with it.
      ASlater

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »
      aslater, glad to hear you got it working.

Make a new post if you need help with avid.