Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Do I Use System Restore from within XP Recovery Console  (Read 2392 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

How Do I Use System Restore from within XP Recovery Console
    « on: September 05, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
    I have a 4 or 5 year old Dell 4600 which appears to have had XP reinstalled on the same partition, without having first deleted the partition.  Each time the machine boots up, the user is forced to select one of two instances of Windows XP shown as being on the machine.  In addition, the display flickers constantly, and eventually, the machine locks up, especially when trying to download a file, and when clicking on "my computer".  From within Disk Management, I see only one partition, described as Active/Primary/Healthy.   I believe the System Restore utility is available from within the XP Recovery Console, which I have used several times to try to repair an installation, but I don't recall any access to System Restore.  I have the view that, if I can go back a month or so, maybe I can get the machine stable enough to try to do some investigating. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to System Restore from the XP Recovery Console?
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

typhoeus

Hopeful

• Genus computerus gamerus/member of OCHWelC
      Re: How Do I Use System Restore from within XP Recovery Console
      « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
      Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
      If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules.

We worship Jeff, the god of biscuits.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: How Do I Use System Restore from within XP Recovery Console
        « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:45:24 AM »
        Typhoeus:
        Thanks for what should have been an unnecessary reminder.  That was all I needed. 
        Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus