Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Self Built Computer Club  (Read 160367 times)

JRucks

Rookie

Re: Self Built Computer Club
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
    I was trying to post a pic of me and my room mates computers and was wondering how to post pics?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
    If your thinking wood, wood absorbs and stores heat. Horrible material to use when building anything electronic or mechanical. Plastic does the same, and many other materials I can name. Personally, I prefer a good 'ole metal computer case.

My motto is "If the case doesn't make you wonder if your foot is broken when dropped on your foot, its not a proper computer case!". I hate flimsy computer cases, HATE them, almost as much as I hate sharp edged computer cases like the old Packard Bell Legends, mind you, my first computer was a Packard Bell Legend, no clue what the model was. It was a piece of junk though, I can remember what it looked like, but I can't remember the model, I believe it was a 50MHz PMMX, though I am unsure.

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »
    I was trying to post a pic of me and my room mates computers and was wondering how to post pics?
    upload it to photobucket and select the img code once you upload it then post it here

JRucks

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
      Sorry for the crappy pic will try to get a better one and some close up as soon as I can. This is me and my room mates computers we built this summer, both in Antec 900 cases. There is 2 17in Acer moniters and a 24in Dell moniter.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »
      It was a piece of junk though

by todays standards, perhaps, but when they first introduced the pentium they were regarded with the same air as today's quad cores.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »
      It was a piece of junk though

by todays standards, perhaps, but when they first introduced the pentium they were regarded with the same air as today's quad cores.

I didn't mean the CPU, the PMMX's where sweet CPU's in there day. First to hardware encode media such as video. The Packard Bell was what I meant was the piece of crap, the computer in and of its self it was junk.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »
      Thanks for the picture and post JRucks, looks good. I've added you to the SBCC.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Dead_reckon

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »
      I've found the case I'm going to use for my desktop when I get the money, its the Sigma Orca. I'm going to carefully cut the side panel window and put a vent in that lower section where the plexi is, I'll use mesh and install a fan to cool the GPU and PCI/PCI-E cards. If I break the window, I"ll just replace it with a piece of mesh. I don't think I'll break the window with my variable speed dremel though, I'm more worried about molten plexi hitting me in the face.. I guess I'll have to invest in some goggles since mine disappeared earlier this year.

Safety 101, NEVER DREMEL WITHOUT PROPER WORK GOGGLES! Seems like common sense to use them with near any power tool, but so many people don't. Senseless risk of there eyesight if you ask me.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »
      What case did you use for your build Quaxo?

Raidmax Ninja

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
      I just finished my new personal build so i guess i qualify...

;D

Reference Link
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »
      nice build patio!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
      Thanx !

Sweet so far with absolutely zero issues...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

homer

Expert
        « Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
        Safety 101, NEVER DREMEL WITHOUT PROPER WORK GOGGLES! Seems like common sense to use them with near any power tool, but so many people don't. Senseless risk of there eyesight if you ask me.

darn good advice. i had a close call when a hunk of steel nearly hit my eye when i was working on my case.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
        I have more problems with plastic.. That crap gets everywhere, though I like cutting it because you don't get covered up too your eyeballs in metal shavings that make you itch worse than handling fiberglass insulation.

On a side note, I've decided I'm going to replace the CPU, RAM, GPU cooler, hard drive, and put it all in the new case at the same time. Probably get a new DVD burner since mine doesn't seem to burn properly anymore, only reads discs. The CPU heatsink is attached to the motherboard with stove bolts, fed through the motherboard with nylon washers preventing them from grounding out on it, then through the heatsink mounts with more nylon washers, and nylon nuts tightened to finger snug. So its a pain to remove with the motherboard in, was IMPOSSIBLE with the stock intel style plastic push pins.

JRucks

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 01:09:59 AM »
          when i built my computer i used the antec nine hundred case and love it. lots of fans to keep all my components nice and cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
          « Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:36:47 AM by JRucks »