Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ComputerHope Social Chat Prototype Version 0.1  (Read 78962 times)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: ComputerHope Social Chat Prototype Version 0.1
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:38 AM »
Update:

• Fixed bug caused by /nick changes not properly updating users listed in the users online section.
  • Removed bots from being displayed on users chatting list. I don't minds being in the channel (as long as they're behaved), but if you do log your bot in please let me know so I can get them added to this ignore list. Current bots ignoring: hopebot,secksie,zylbot,zer0,zero
  • Fixed other minor things.

Finally, going to also unsticky this topic now that the prototype is now in full swing. Thanks Zylstra for pushing me in the direction again on setting this up.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »
As carbon mentioned to me in chat we'll move the version now to 1.0. :)

Finally, I forgot to mention this in the previous post but if you're interested in creating what's seen on the Computer Hope pages / forum on your own site/blog/forum. You're welcome to copy and paste the below code.

Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.computerhope.com/chat.js"></script>
<br>
<a href="http://embed.mibbit.com/?channel=%23computerhope&amp;nick=guest_%3F%3F&amp;settings=80e49f805cec00055cd55e64fc9e7fd0&amp;noServerMotd=true">
Click here to join the chat now</a> (IRC: irc.mibbit.com #computerhope)

You may also change the guest_%3F%3F& section in the above URL to match your site. For example, to myblog_%3F%3F& would make any visitor coming into the chat from your blog as myblog_xx where xx is a random number.

Coping the above code would give you something similiar to the below example on your site.

Users in chat (3):
JohnK, ComputerHope, Carbon
Total logins: 621. Total lines typed: 7,168. Last action: September 15, 2008, 1:46:2 (MST).
Join the chat now (IRC: irc.mibbit.com #computerhope)

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2008, 04:12:36 AM »
Update:

The link on the main page now points to the below URL, which opens the chat in part of the forum instead of using the full screen.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?action=chat

There is also now a link to chat at the top of the forum now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:47:36 AM by Computer Hope Admin »
-Albert Einstein

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
ZylBot is a failing system... and will probably be replaced.

Still, in the event that ZylBot is actually, really, undoubtedly, working, you can type:
ZylBot: Channelstats
To see some more statistics.

I'm looking into a Perl based system that will create some cool statistics... but, I need to find a good logbot first that uses an mIRC type format...
(I was also going to poke Nathan about logging the chat publicly... not sure if thats a good idea or not.)

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
I have just experienced  a new problem whenever I try to type A window pops up under near the bottom of the page with a "Go to" box

swicthing the blinking line that tells you that your typing in that box swicthing

from mibbit to that box

I never pressed Ctrl +F 

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »
You need to click the input text field first...

When you start typing on a HTML page, it opens the search box.