Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting rid of annoying dialing sound  (Read 5696 times)

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

Getting rid of annoying dialing sound
    « on: September 12, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »
    Hi!  When I asked the question, "How do I get rid of the annoying dialing sound", I got nothing.  When I abbreviated the question, I found a forum about speaker volumes.  Turning off/down the speakers is easy, but how do I get rid of the annoying & constant sound if I want to have my speakers on?  This computer has never had dial-up, and the internet option for connections is "never dial a connection".  Any ideas?

Oh, I have Windows XP, and the system is a Powerspec from Micro Center.  I'm not sure where I'd find the model number.  I also have no idea what the sound card is, something pretty standard I'd guess.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Getting rid of annoying dialing sound
      « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
      Hi not quite clear here. you have a dailing sound all the time from your dial up modem.
      Yet you have it set to never dial a connection?

Well you posted here so you must have internet capabilities... I'll assume your using that computer then and it is dial up.

I had one with what sounds like a similar problem, and I think this is how I did it.
      I need to know the type of modem. Some voice fax modems have a control in their properties section for the dial up modem sound.
      So, go to control panel, system, modems. Properties of you modem and see if there is a management mark in there for modem speaker volume.
      Switch it to off.
      It works independantly of your speaker system.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
        Thanks so much for replying!  No, I don't have dial=up, never did on this machine.  In fact, I don't think there even is a modem hiding inside that computer somewhere because when I started with Earthlink and they completely screwed up, they tried to tell me that I could use dial-up, but when I called Micro-Center, they said that the computer has no modem.

The modem I do use is a Zyxel P-600 series, and I have a Linksys router.

However, I did try what you suggest and while "modem settings" is external to the "system" options in XP, when I tried clicking on that, it told me that my modem driver was incorrectly installed and to delete it from add/remove programs and re-install it.  Interesting.  So, I went to add/remove programs, and the only modem-sounding one I found was "Smart Link 56K Voice Modem".  However, since I'd have no clue how to re-install it, I don't dare delete it.

Anyway, with that error message, I got no modem properties to choose from.

Thanks again!

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
        If you don't use Smart Link 56K Voice Modem, right click on it, click "Disable".

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
          Actually, I went ahead and deleted the program and re-booted my system.  Internet was still working, but so was the incessant dialing sound.

I'm now kind of wondering if it might have to do with one of my Microsoft updates since this problem is pretty new, and I haven't installed any new software in eons, or at least I don't think so.  I went to the microsoft website, but all I found were efforts to sell me stuff, no trouble-shooting or bug list or whatever I'd expected to find.

I guess I was hoping others would have run into this problem and just say, "oh, all you have to do is ..."  Nothing's ever simple.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
          Download HijackThis:
          http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
          Click on Download HijackThis Installer
          Post HijackTHis log.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
          I'm confused...
          If you don't use the modem why is it still hooked up ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »
            Hi both of you!  I do appreciate your continuing attention!  I've downloaded the Hijack program, run it, and created 2 log files as the instructions suggest.  What do you mean by "Post HijackTHis log."?  Should I cut & paste the log files in one of these emails?

As far as I know, the only modem I have hooked up is the Zyxel one which I definitely do use.  It is not dial-up.  I've been told that there isn't one inside the system, and while I have no clue how to verify this, I have no reason to doubt Micro-Center either.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »
            Should I cut & paste the log files in one of these emails?
            Yes.

I've been told that there isn't one inside the system
            Can you see phone jack on the back panel of your computer?

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
              Thanks, Broni!  There's just a jack for the internet cable.  The cable plugged in there goes first to my router which is connected to my modem.  I have a Linksys Vonage modem as well.  All of these devices have been in place since long before this problem started.

Anyway, here is the Hijack log file:
              Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
              Scan saved at 9:38:59 AM, on 13-Sep-08
              Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
              MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
              Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTtrayp.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
              C:\Program Files\PCSecurityShield\The Shield Deluxe 2008\avp.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\DrvMon.exe
              C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\sabserv.exe
              C:\Program Files\Alarm95\Alarm95.exe
              C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
              C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.exe
              C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.BIN
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\CfgSrvc.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
              C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\SDMan.EXE
              C:\Program Files\UPSMON\UPSMON_Service.Exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trams\CBPlus\CBPlus.exe
              C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
              C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://24.248.216.205/exchange/
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
              R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://us.mcafee.com/root/landingpages/cd.asp?affid=307&lpname=vso&cid=8152&appurl=http://us.mcafee.com/apps/AppCommon/updreg.asp?app=http://us.mcafee.com/apps/vso/en-us/redir.asp?affid=307&installtype=force&lpname=vso&systempopup=true (obfuscated)
              O2 - BHO: EarthLink BHO Guard - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\EScamBlk.dll
              O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
              O2 - BHO: EarthLink ScamBlocker V3 - {15F4D456-5BAA-4076-8486-EECB38CD3E57} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\EScamBlk.dll
              O2 - BHO: EarthLink PopUp Blocker V2 - {512ACF1B-64D9-4928-B382-A80556F28DB4} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ElnkPub.dll
              O2 - BHO: IE_PopupBlocker Class - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Accelerator\prpl_IePopupBlocker.dll
              O2 - BHO: RoboForm - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
              O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
              O2 - BHO: Earthlink Protection BHO - {9579D574-D4D8-4335-9560-FE8641A013BD} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ProtctIE.dll
              O2 - BHO: Uninstall Legacy Earthlink Toolbar - {E713904C-DF05-4C79-BBAD-02DB923253BE} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\uninsttb.dll
              O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
              O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
              O3 - Toolbar: EarthLink Toolbar - {C7768536-96F8-4001-B1A2-90EE21279187} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\Toolbar.dll
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTrayp] VTtrayp.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\PCSecurityShield\The Shield Deluxe 2008\avp.exe"
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DrvMon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\DrvMon.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
              O4 - Startup: Alarm 95.lnk = C:\Program Files\Alarm95\Alarm95.exe
              O4 - Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
              O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Fast Start.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FASTBOOT.EXE
              O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Find Fast Indexer.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
              O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.2.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\quickstart.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: Sabre Server.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\sabserv.exe
              O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
              O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
              O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
              O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
              O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\npjpi150_11.dll
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\npjpi150_11.dll
              O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\PCSecurityShield\The Shield Deluxe 2008\scieplugin.dll
              O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
              O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
              O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
              O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
              O15 - Trusted Zone: *.agentware.net
              O15 - Trusted Zone: *.jacquielawson.com
              O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sabre.com
              O15 - Trusted Zone: *.vacationstudio.net
              O15 - Trusted Zone: *.virtuallythere.com
              O16 - DPF: {03A89EFD-E023-7700-A22D-45F77558EB4C} (ILINCInstall77 Class) - http://learnlinc.sabre.com/download/ilinci77.dll
              O16 - DPF: {2D36AF92-04D3-11D8-B719-0000865F231B} (TMinReq Class) - https://my.sabre.com/jars/TMinReqX.dll
              O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://tnz.webex.com/client/T25L/training/ieatgpc.cab
              O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\G2AWinLogon.dll
              O23 - Service: The Shield Deluxe 2008 (AVP) - PCSecurityShield - C:\Program Files\PCSecurityShield\The Shield Deluxe 2008\avp.exe
              O23 - Service: Config Service Helper (CfgSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CfgSrvc.exe
              O23 - Service: EarthLink Monitor Service (EarthLinkMonitor) - Boingo Wireless, Inc. - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
              O23 - Service: EarthLink Firewall Process Path Service (ElnkFWPPService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\EARTHL~1\PROTEC~1\EFWPPS~1.EXE (file missing)
              O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\g2aservice.exe
              O23 - Service: HSSP Configuration Module (HsspConfig) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CfgSrvc.exe
              O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
              O23 - Service: Sabre Device Manager (SDMan) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SDMan.EXE
              O23 - Service: UPSMONService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\UPSMON\UPSMON_Service.Exe

--
              End of file - 9783 bytes

And, here is the startup log file which the basic instructions told me to create as well:

StartupList report, 13-Sep-08, 9:42:24 AM
              StartupList version: 1.52.2
              Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
              Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
              Detected: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
              * Using default options
              ==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTtrayp.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\DrvMon.exe
              C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\sabserv.exe
              C:\Program Files\Alarm95\Alarm95.exe
              C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
              C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.exe
              C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\soffice.BIN
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
              C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\SDMan.EXE
              C:\Program Files\UPSMON\UPSMON_Service.Exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trams\CBPlus\CBPlus.exe
              C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
              C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Startup:
              [C:\Documents and Settings\Diane\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
              Alarm 95.lnk = C:\Program Files\Alarm95\Alarm95.exe
              MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
              Microsoft Office Fast Start.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FASTBOOT.EXE
              Microsoft Office Find Fast Indexer.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
              OpenOffice.org 2.2.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\program\quickstart.exe

Shell folders Common Startup:
              [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
              Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
              Sabre Server.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\sabserv.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
              UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
              HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

KernelFaultCheck = %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
              VTTrayp = VTtrayp.exe
              VTTimer = VTTimer.exe
              AVP = "C:\Program Files\PCSecurityShield\The Shield Deluxe 2008\avp.exe"

Autorun entries from Registry:
              HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ctfmon.exe = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              DrvMon.exe = C:\WINDOWS\system32\DrvMon.exe
              RoboForm = "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
              SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
              drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
              SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssstars.scr
              drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
              HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

EarthLink BHO Guard - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\EScamBlk.dll - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}
              (no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
              EarthLink ScamBlocker V3 - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\EScamBlk.dll - {15F4D456-5BAA-4076-8486-EECB38CD3E57}
              EarthLink PopUp Blocker V2 - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ElnkPub.dll - {512ACF1B-64D9-4928-B382-A80556F28DB4}
              (no name) - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Accelerator\prpl_IePopupBlocker.dll - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037}
              RoboForm - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a}
              (no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}
              Earthlink Protection BHO - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ProtctIE.dll - {9579D574-D4D8-4335-9560-FE8641A013BD}
              Uninstall Legacy Earthlink Toolbar - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\uninsttb.dll - {E713904C-DF05-4C79-BBAD-02DB923253BE}

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Microsoft Office Template and Media Control]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\IEAWSDC.DLL
              CODEBASE = http://office.microsoft.com/templates/ieawsdc.cab

[ILINCInstall77 Class]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ilinci77.dll
              CODEBASE = http://learnlinc.sabre.com/download/ilinci77.dll

[Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.DLL
              CODEBASE = http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/0/5b0d4654-aa20-495c-b89f-c1c34c691085/LegitCheckControl.cab

[TMinReq Class]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\TMinReqX.dll
              CODEBASE = https://my.sabre.com/jars/TMinReqX.dll

[Shockwave Flash Object]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9f.ocx
              CODEBASE = http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

[GpcContainer Class]
              InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ieatgpc.dll
              CODEBASE = https://tnz.webex.com/client/T25L/training/ieatgpc.cab

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
              CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
              WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll
              SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll
              WPDShServiceObj: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

End of report, 7,184 bytes
              Report generated in 0.203 seconds

Command line options:
                 /verbose  - to add additional info on each section
                 /complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
                 /full     - to include several rarely-important sections
                 /force9x  - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
                 /forcent  - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
                 /forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
                 /history  - to list version history only

Sorry this is so long, and thanks SOOOO much for trying to make some sense out of it!

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
              I don't like couple of entries there, so please, go here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
                Hi Broni!  Well, I'm at step 1, and fortunately, I see nothing in my add/remove list on that list of bad programs you have.  However, I'll give you the ones I don't recognize, as requested.

AFPL Ghostscript 7.04
                AFPL Ghostscript Fonts
                Easy-web print  [coupons??]
                FTDI USB Serial Converter Drivers
                MSXML 4.0 SP2  [3 of them]
                Open Systems client
                OpenOffice org 2.2
                Presto Page Manager 6.03
                Realtek AC 97 Audio
                UPSMON Plus for Windows
                Windows Installer 3.1

I suppose these may quite well all be legitimate, or maybe part of another program.  What items concerned you?  For what it's worth, with my speakers turned off, I have no other symptoms.

Thanks again!

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
                You use prescribed steps, and then start new topic here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

dianeliz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »
                  Hi!  I don't think I'm quite there yet.  The instructions say for me not to plow ahead and guess what to do when I really don't know:

"Under no circumstances should you attempt to fix things by following another log and doing it yourself.  This can only lead to more problems and possibly an un-bootable system.  Every machine and every infection is unique and this method will only cause more problems."

"1. Click on the Windows Start button and click on the Control Panel
                  2. In the Control Panel window, double-click Add or Remove Programs icon.
                  3. When the Add or Remove Programs window has fully populated, check for any unknown or suspicious looking programs.
                  4. Do not uninstall anything you may be unsure of.
                  5. Post the details of unknown or suspicious programs when creating a thread and we will advise on which to uninstall."

So, I just (well, a couple of days ago, but I've been busy) did #5 above, and now I'm waiting to see what you advise me to uninstall.  If the answer is "nothing", then I'll proceed to step 2 and so on.

And after all the steps, you wish me to start a new topic??  A 'thank you' topic?  Or what?  I'm a bit confused here.

Thank you!

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
                  Your list is fine. Go ahead with next step :)
                  You need to start new topic in Computer viruses and spyware forum.
                  In that topic, include link to THIS thread.